Living with someone from another culture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

And I haven't got a telly ^_^
Don't worry, you're not missing much :laugh:

Edit: that said, 'Maid' did have me asking myself some questions. Sometimes one doesn't see the wood for the trees (as the cliche goes) and tele can help to shift your perspective, enable you to see something that's actually staring you in the face.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don't worry, you're not missing much :laugh:

Edit: that said, 'Maid' did have me asking myself some questions. Sometimes one doesn't see the wood for the trees (as the cliche goes) and tele can help to shift your perspective, enable you to see something that's actually staring you in the face.

Good drama, fiction etc, can do that :smile:

Wherever it's sourced.

And I do watch stuff on tinternets now and then anyhow :angel:

But not so much for a while.

Maybe this winter I'll get a chance..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
There's a difference between knowing and assuming. I'd think that cross cultural relationships would benefit from a lot more of the former and a lot less of the latter. Knowing involves a bit of effort and learning. Assuming? Anyone can do that.

Aye, agree and all that if it's a friend/colleague/neighbourg (I can never spell this word!) relationship. ^_^
But, if we are concentrating here on :smooch:relationships (like I think the OP meant) and if there's no common mother language, there's no time to discover the shape the other cut their tomatoes* before you're entangled in a passionate embrace with the sexy foreigner :whistle:
Your brain in a fog of looove, you're gonna be well entangled before you discover the no-nos of your partner's culture. :laugh:
*Yes, I did get put down because of my "Italian" tomato slices ... should have cut them in Cypriot cubes :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ahh - tomatoes..
Now we are getting cultural.

Good tomato culture is key, not just to interpersonal relationships, but to global peasant farmer solidarity.

One of my Spanish la Via Campesina colleagues gifted me this tomato, he'd brought to Glasgow.

One of many types of tomato, the seeds of which have been saved and passed around through our food sovereignty network, originating here .

I'll save the seeds, from this, grow some on my farm , and pass them on to others in the network.

It's an act of connection and solidarity, rather than a serious seed distribution technique, btw.

But eating together is one of the best cross cultural experiences ever, imo.

(So long as you observe the local protocols of course :whistle:)

This last week I've shared delicious food with people from Puerto Rico, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and England, France, Spain, Mongolia, Brazil, Germany, Ghana, Mexico, Chile, Kenya, and Canada, * all sat around the one same very long table, cooked by a skilful kitchen team, lead by French woman, using the finest Scottish produce .

Food (and farming) is a great leveller, and bringer together of people..

If romance blossoms, or passion develops, well, maybe that's an extra bonus, but whatever, we all need our dinner right ;)

*Those are the countries I can remember , I'm sure there were more..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
you say tomatoe, I say tomato
let's explore our cultural differences

nah, doesn't scan right :laugh:

Howsabout let's put aside our differences and eat good tomatoes..

Pizza pasta salad or sauce...

🍅🍅🍅💚🍅

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yup. Me, I like food, I like eating. I'd be up for that!

Who doesn't like eating good food.??

It's very difficult to be bad tempered with someone who has cooked you a nice meal.

If you are, then you clearly don't deserve their company.. :whistle:

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've heard it said so often that people are the same everywhere. Such a depressing idea.

You lot have convinced me that we are all different, and that's great!

Vive la difference!

yello

Who doesn't like eating good food.??
Oh true true, but I really like eating. The process of, not just taste etc.

Some of my favourite ever events have been around the dinner table. And I genuinely mean that. One of life's greatest pleasures; food and good company.

Aye, agree and all that if it's a friend/colleague/neighbourg (I can never spell this word!) relationship. ^_^
But, if we are concentrating here on :smooch:relationships (like I think the OP meant) and if there's no common mother language, there's no time to discover the shape the other cut their tomatoes* before you're entangled in a passionate embrace with the sexy foreigner :whistle:
Your brain in a fog of looove, you're gonna be well entangled before you discover the no-nos of your partner's culture. :laugh:
*Yes, I did get put down because of my "Italian" tomato slices ... should have cut them in Cypriot cubes :sad:
Clearly tomatoes are still a bit of a sensitive issue!^_^

I have to admit to driving a former girlfriend more than a little mad by my "flexible" attitude to tomatoes. I actually quite like them but am not a fan of seeing them😊. A long story for another time!

However, on the topic of the thread I'm still unsure of how we are to find out about a potential lover's foibles unless we actually dive on in there?

Yes, there can be potential "deal breakers" that can be established early such as attitudes to children but I don't think there's too many. Attitude to women in certain cultures would be another significant one.
And there are nuances.
And people do change. (I'm not saying that we should want them to change).

I had a very long relationship with a non-drinking, non-smoking, vegetarian and these were never an issue despite me being a drinking, smoking, meat eater.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse but there are degrees to a person's behaviour and beliefs. A vegetarian who cries when my steak arrives in front of me is different to the vegetarian who will happily steal my chips off the same plate!

It's not the belief that's the problem it's how the couple deal with it.

And those troublesome "beliefs" or "norms" can just as easily be dealbreakers for someone down the road as for someone from across the globe

To my way of thinking there's only one way to find out - jump in there and give it our best shot. On the assumption, of course, that we see something worth pursuing and that we're healthy and confident enough to know when things are not working out.

When I see something like "I could never have a relationship with a X", I feel a little sad.
If I'm to be rejected, I'd rather it be for who I am and what I do rather than a label applied to me that carries a whole lot of baggage that I don't subscribe to.
I wonder how often when someone labels another person the label has more significance to the labeler than the labelee?

Example: I'd rarely describe myself as a cyclist despite being on my bike most days. Cyclists wear lycra. They break traffic lights all the time and all the other rules of the road. They want the whole road to themselves. To a lot of people they're only a couple of pedal strokes away from being the end of civilisation!
I'm a person on a bike. And that's just a teeny tiny part of me.

Of course, your point about different languages is vital. That makes the process of discovery that much more difficult. Not impossible. Just more difficult.
It's a whole lot harder to demonstrate respect and problem solve with pidgin language.
And there are couples with no language barriers at all where respect is a foreign word!

I've had a few cross cultural relationships in my time and I suppose one way of looking at it is that they all failed because a tiger of one form or another is my trusty companion these days.^_^
I only regret one and it could barely be described as a relationship consisting of two dates because it ended up being genuinely frightening.
Every other one was a gift. Or at least, that's how I choose to view them. The passage of time does help!

Drago

Legendary Member
I once went on a date with a very attractive lass from the Dominican Republic. You should have seen the look on her Dad's face when the very large white lad with the short haircut and the tight fitting Fred Perry T shirt turned up on his doorstep.

She was a very nice person, 7 or 8 years older than me, and it was one of those brief relationships where we both wanted to but something indefinable didn't quite click.

Drago

Legendary Member
I suspect Hobbes finally wangled his way into her boudoir, only to discover she was packing more, em, weaponry than he had anticipated. Still, thats Thai holiday romamces for you.

Top Bottom