Llandudno Great Orme - 1st Timer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David_widnes

Veteran
Going give the Great Orme a go tomorrow , plan is to get the first train in and loop the Orme before riding back to Warrington , any tips on what to expect on the Orme would be apricated , Cheers

straas

Matt
It's all one way traffic with the entrance near to the pier. Cars are charged, bikes are free.

It's only a few km to loop, roughly uphill for the first half, then downhill to the exit, watch your speed on the corners downhill as there can be sheep in the road.

you can take a left about 1/3 of the way round and head up to the top, you'll then have to turn around and retrace your route to the loop and continue.

Some great views and it looks like you've picked a cracking day for it.

If you're planning on using the coastal path back to prestatyn, beware it gets busy around Rhyl, so a bell could be useful.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Been looking at doing this myself in the last week... train to Chester, ride to Llandudno, couple of days exploring the area then ride back to Chester and train back home.

Yesterday a workmate posted photos from the Great Orme on facebook... must be something in the water.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A mate of mine has the best time for cycling from the cattle grid at the bottom to the cafe at the top: 7'18 if I remember well. I can do it in 17 minutes. It is only the last bit which is steep: 8.4%. Enjoy.

tom73

Guru
Not done it on a bike but had a good look at the route when we visited. Agree with others some tight hairpins and plenty to watch out for.
Enjoy the tram up it's well worth it great views every turn.
Gets quite close to walls at times so watch out and keep your arm out the way in good time once you've got that must have pic.

Once up top the views are great even on lovely day it can be blowing a gale though so you maybe an idea to have something to keep it at bay.
The visitor centre is worth a look and gives you an idea what you're looking at when you're out and about.
If you get a bit lost just look for the tram stop and head for it.

Watch out for the gulls , find a nice quiet place , sit back have a drink, a sandwich and just look around and enjoy the view.
Don't rush go with the flow so much to see and enjoy. Why not add your name to hill of names we did it's great fun.

Don't forget to take pic's the place just short out for them.

Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_3133.JPG
    IMG_3133.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 8
D

Deleted member 1258

Last time were there we went up in the tram, stopped half way up and went round the prehistoric mine. We've also done the road round the bottom in the vintage coach.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You've done all the ormwork, all you've got to do now is ride it.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
There are a couple of steep sections , one just before the grave yard and one just after it, lovely views from the top, as has been said, watch out for the sheep in the road on the fast descents

TeeShot

Veteran
You’ll be up and back down in Llandudno before you know it. Only thing to do is go for another lap
Lovely ride, great views, hardly any traffic. Enjoy the day

Top Bottom