Local Shops and Locking Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the occasional visit to my local newsagent/ convenience store i have locked my bike to itself due to the lack of any secure bike parking. I'm never very happy doing this so often choose to walk it instead

OP
OP
Ben17

Ben17

Well, I've learnt something today. I never knew the 'n' shaped bike racks were called Sheffield Stands. I'll have to remember that.

There certainly seems to be some variety of experiences. It's a big shame that some facilities are being removed. I guess they were under-used and an example of why a broad encouragement of cycling by a variety of provisions and initiatives is important, not just the one aspect of bike stands in this case.

I like the idea of bringing the bike into the shop and that may well work for some larger shop or supermarket (although the response is obviously mixed). I'm also thinking though of small corner shops where two or three customers is a crowd, services such as hairdressers etc. and the other myriad of little places where floor space certainly wouldn't allow a full size bike.

The folding bike solution may work. Unfortunately, it means another bike specifically for this purpose though which is again less than ideal. It may be a future consideration though, as I was thinking of getting one for carrying on public transport. For someone weighing up whether cycling is for them though, I'm not sure promoting the idea of multiple bikes for different purposes is much of an encouragement, unless they're use case means a folding bike will meant all of their needs.

But again, with all of these, we're all finding workarounds to what seems to be a common problem. Drivers generally get their parking facilities, or in worst case they can park nearby on the road. It's a pity society is so car centric that cyclists can't have at least just one Sheffield Stand per parade as a minimum, with more added if there is demand.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I'd hazard a guess that on the whole car drivers spend more per visit to the shops than cyclists do, if only because carrying stuff isn't such an issue- although we all know somebody who will drive half a mile to the newsagents to buy a paper. Because of this there is more economic sense in pandering to the requirements of the motorist, many of whom won't frequent a particular shop if they have to walk more than about a hundred metres to get to the front door.

classic33

Leg End Member
Same council installed some county council supplied racks outside their offices, in a position that was only accessible by climbing a short flight of stairs.

They've since moved offices. No cycle parking provision outside the new ones.

Their response to a recent epidemic of bike theft from the racks outside our local leisure centre was to close the racks to cyclists.
Local council scrapped the lockers they'd put outside their main office. No attempt made to relocate them or even offer them to anywhere that might use them.

rivers

How far can I go?
What reason do they give for not wanting your bike in the store? Apart from not wanting your money, obviously.

Tesco once said it was unsanitary and the health department would shut them down. This was a cashier at the to. The security team and management I walked past said nothing that day.

classic33

Leg End Member
None of the local "parades" of shops that I am familiar with in and around Carlisle provide cycle parking. I usually use a lamppost or railing.
Sainsburys was the only supermarket to provide a decent amount of bike parking, but recently they decided to demolish it.
Sainsburys have similar cycle parking provided, but motorbikes are more likely to be locked on/to them. It has the twin advantages of being on camera and visible from inside.

OP
OP
Ben17

Ben17

Tesco once said it was unsanitary and the health department would shut them down. This was a cashier at the to. The security team and management I walked past said nothing that day.

That's an interesting argument. I wonder how it's any more unsanitary than people's shoes, pushchairs, wheelchairs, mobility scooters etc., not to mention filthy clothing after a day's physical labour, dirty hands - I'm sure there's more.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It depends here if there are bike parking provisions near the shops.
Most major supermarkets have them, but not all: my local Lidl has none, there is a local big Tesco that has none, but we have a pub with covered bike parking!
The local Halfords has no bike parking :giggle: neither has the Evans in the city centre, in both cases you bring your bike in.
My local library has 2 stands.
You will find plenty parking spaces in town, but they are often full.
As always, we must be inventive.

Top Bottom