loch lomond to inverness via mull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rigormortis

Im planning an eight day cycle starting just south of loch lomond at a place called balloch. Plan on using the cycle route to Tarbet.

I then want to cycle over the rest and be thankful and down to oban, taking the ferry to mull and cycling round the outside of the island to tobermoray where ill take the ferry back to the mainland and then cycle to the corran ferry and head to fort william. From fort billy i plan on cycleing up the great glen cycleway and finishing in inverness.

Has anyone done any of the sections of this route. Are their any cycle route between tarbet and oban or will i have to stick to the roads for that section. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've done most of your route in reverse, ie everything from Craigmuir to Tobermoray around the 'outside' (I assume you mean the long way, west coast etc) of mull. The ferry to the mainland from Tobermoray goes to Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula - is that your planned route? Because you can also get a ferry from Fishnish to a horrible place called Lochaline on the mainland, and get back to Fort William from there.

Anyway, the ride from Kilchoan to Fort William is lovely except for the A road which you should leave asap. So is the one from Lochaline to Corran Ferry. In fact the ride as I did it is probably one of my best ever UK tours.

So you'll enjoy it - it's a lovely part of the world to ride a bike.

OP
OP
R

rigormortis

Hi Kirstie,

Yeh sounds like what im planning, im going to cycle up the west side of mull then take the ferry to kilchoan. Where did you stay? any recommendations, i am taking a tent and will probably mix between camping and hostels

rigormortis said:
Hi Kirstie,

Yeh sounds like what im planning, im going to cycle up the west side of mull then take the ferry to kilchoan. Where did you stay? any recommendations, i am taking a tent and will probably mix between camping and hostels

We did a circular route which took 3 days beginning and ending in fort william, so we stayed in a B&B in Ballaculish, then a B&B in Tobermoray (we just turned up and it was one of those on the harbour front), and finally the dive centre in Lochaline, which was cosy and cheap.

Don't go to Kilchoan unless you want to cycle to the lighthouse or something. I'd favour the beautiful Lochaline :biggrin: Long steady climb out of Lochaline and if you want an interesting and beautiful route to Corran, take the Kingairloch road, absolutely breathtaking. The road from Kilchoan is not as good.

TwoTired

1) If you can, start in Dunoon/Hunter's Quay via Gourock (rather than Balloch). This avoids the Rest climb and is much quieter.
2) From Taynuilt to Oban use Glen Lonan not A85.
3) Consider Camusnagaul (rather than Corran) ferry to reach Fort William.
4) Only parts of the Great Glen Way are suitable for tourists. N from Fort Augustus the east side of Loch Ness is better.

TwoTired said:
3) Consider Camusnagaul (rather than Corran) ferry to reach Fort William.
Yes, good call that part of the A84 to Fort William from the ferry is awful and lethal. Alternatively carry on around the loch and come into Fort William on the Mallaig road. Actually just miss out Fort Wililam, it's a dreadful place.

Just if you decide to go to Lochaline, do not not not stay at the lochaline hotel. They are not very nice to cyclists (they told us to f**k off - yes, those were their words - when we had arrived at 8pm off the ferry having had no tea). The dive centre is self catering but the folk there are very nice.

snorri

Legendary Member
Do get the Camusnagaul ferry timetable before you get there, the timings are (or were) quite erratic although no doubt the timetable was set up to suit local requirements.

OP
OP
R

rigormortis

hey guys,

this all makes sense i think it looks nicer going to lochaline rather than kilchoan. Also the ferry at Camusnagaul sounds better than the corran (ill check the times). One thing i like the idea of is starting at Balloch so i can cycle up the banks of loch lomond. The thought of starting at Dunoon is interesting. Is the climb to rest and be thankful really that bad? thinking stay the first night in cairdow. What are your thoughts?

Thanks all for taking the time to reply much appreciated

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is not so much the climb (it is only 240m over +6km), it is the traffic, but then it depends on how much you enjoy sharing the road with artics and kamikaze motorcyclists...

TwoTired

The Rest is a 800+ ft climb on a main road; traffic is constant but relatively light. A lot better than say A82 or A85 - I just prefer the quietest roads.

I've got nothing against Lochaline indeed I passed thru it last year. But missing out Tobermory and Ardnamurchan wouldnt be my advice to first timers.

OP
OP
R

rigormortis

ok guys thanks a lot. I think ill start at Balloch will leave the A85 at taynauilt to oban. I think i might stick with taking the ferry from Tobermoray. Ill try and pass on the corran ferry if possible.

I have 8 days available for the whole lot, i feel i may well be well within myself on that timescale, is there anything anyone would recommend along the way

hubbike

I have done most of what you and TwoTired describe. Another option would be to go via Arran and kintyre peninsula to Oban? Inverary to Cladich is a steep climb. I've never cycled along Loch Awe from Cladich but it looks good on the map. On Mull there is a land rover track along Loch Frisa that would be ok for a rugged tourer (I imagine). From Kilchoan I would recommed making a detour to Sanna bay, it is gorgeous. Also there is a route (I've not ridden) between Strontian and Glenfinnan via Loch Sheil but its also on a land rover track.

hubbike said:
Another option would be to go via Arran and kintyre peninsula to Oban?

Yes that's the way I've been and it's a lovely way to go plus you get the ferry journeys which I always enjoy.

That Landrover track from Strontian is not something I'd reccommend on a tourer. You've a long climb over to Polloch where it starts and if there's been logging activity, it'll be a mess.

Also don't underestimate the ride from Kilchoan to Strontian. The road is continuously up and down and it will sap you far more than the distance would lead you to believe. I know I used to live there.

Top Bottom