Lock - easy, lightweight for 11 yr old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

I need to get a lock for my 11 yr old when he cycles to school. I guess to some extent it is so he gets used to locking the bike and we are covered on insurance . Presumably something lightweight is not going to be that efficient but does anyone have any recommendations.

shimano

the lightest lock I've come across is the Bikemate from Aldi - ok, at £4 it's not going to be much of a deterrent if someone really wants your bike. ( I use it to secure both wheels in conjunction with a D lock for the frame). It's a combination lock with a retractable 1.5m wire and just slips into your pocket (or schoolbag) when not in use.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Abus do one, i;ve seen it on Evans Cycles webpage. Theres a sale on from the 14th September or something, maybe 14th August. I dunno. May be worth a look,
Failing that, if you go to the seaside or somewhere, the cheapo shops do cheap bike locks, may be worth a look.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It probably depends on where he will be locking it up, is it visible from the road, how good is his bike, versus what other bikes are there and if they are locked up with cheap rubbish. The couple of bikes that have been nicked from my children's school shed have usually not been locked up, or left overnight. But at another school nearby the bike shed is next to the road, not overlooked and loads have gone missing from it.

I'd go with the D-lock left at school option.

Its also worth spending 5 mins showing him how to lock it up... came back one day to find my middle child (aged 11) had locked up her bike using the handlebars!!!! - luckily with a small D-lock but not very secure if you had an allen key. And alot of the bikes in the bike shed are often just locked up by their quick release wheel!

Top Bottom