Lock won't Unlock – sorted: New key v Old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can you turn the box upside down and then try? Just in case something within the lock jamming it

gbb

Legendary Member
In all probability the lock has broken internally (as mentioned up post)
Pushing the door was mentioned, if the door is warped etc, it can place excess pressure or friction on the latch, pushing the door as you turn the key relieves that pressure/ friction.

Had similar with a bin cupboard door, simply wouldn't undo. Took the hinges off giving me access to the lock, stripped, Inspected, I think it was just siezed and dry. Lubed it up liberally, worked ever since.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, I've been quite surprised at the number of U-Tube videos instructing how to pick all kinds of locks. :eek:
Did you get the lock open though?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There might be some small piece of debris jamming the lock mechanism. Try giving the lock a blast with a compressed air aerosol duster. WD40 might not be powerful enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Also tried turning it upside down and turning the key – obviously to no avail. :sad:

The locksmith reckoned there is nothing wrong with the key – no breakage nor excess wear of either 'lug'.
He recommended turning the key as far as it will go, then applying a hard thump – like with a mallet. :eek:
Did you get the lock open though?
Not yet – been a bit busy but hope to try the locksmith's guidance above...

classic33

Leg End Member
Also tried turning it upside down and turning the key – obviously to no avail. :sad:

The locksmith reckoned there is nothing wrong with the key – no breakage nor excess wear of either 'lug'.
He recommended turning the key as far as it will go, then applying a hard thump – like with a mallet. :eek:

Not yet – been a bit busy but hope to try the locksmith's guidance above...
Assuming the lock is on the lid, locking against the side, have you tried sitting on the lid whilst turning the key in the lock?

If you're planning on turning the key as you swing the mallet, may I suggest you use a pair of pliers to hold the key.

Edited to add, if you insist on holding the key, have a first aid kit ready.

Top Bottom