Lock wouldn't unlock - aaargh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you tried tapping the lock with the key slot empty & facing down. I ask only because you said the key doesn't seem to go in the whole distance. Any plastic that you're aware of in the lock itself. If not heat with a lighter & repeat the tapping & see if anything falls out.
Has it been glued up?
It's a good idea, and I'd do that if I could. Unfortunately the lock's locked in a horizontal position, totally unshiftable. And I don't think it's been glued. My guess is that it's just worn out...something's gone a bit wonky inside.

Whiskey88

Just looking at the look from the picture you provided, why don't you just drill out the central pivot point on the main body of the lock itself (the bit between the 2 loops)? It'll be a bit of labour, but once drilled out the 2 parts should just separate nicely and away you go.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is where you insert the key, under the lock? If so try the tapping method. If not, a piece of piano wire, bent over at the end may help in removing anything that is inside the lock.
See PM. Not putting that on here.

Tyke

My guess is that it's just worn out...something's gone a bit wonky inside.

The other good news is, quite by chance I bumped into a bobby on a bike, who said that as long as I can prove it's mine, they'll be happy to come down with a pair of bolt cutters and do the liberating for me. Which is very good of them,
Why not just let the police cut the lock for you before someone else does it. It wont be a loss as you will never trust the lock enough to use it again anyway.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why not just let the police cut the lock for you before someone else does it. It wont be a loss as you will never trust the lock enough to use it again anyway.
I think that's probably what I'm going to end up doing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Argos did a bottle jack that was just over 2 inch's in height.

See if you can get a shock absorber spring clamp.Reverse the ends & use it to push it apart. They work both ways.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Dynamite

Top Bottom