Lockdown project Vespa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hello, this is my 1966 Vespa 150 Standard (VBB2T) - I've been off since 22 March which has given me time to do some modifications including converting the front fork to a disc brake type (from a donor LML Star Lite), a total rewire and a bit of instant personality with spray cans and Campag stickers.

I have some engine work planned over the winter but TBH it runs so well I'm quite enjoying just riding it as it is!

Last pic is 'before' for reference. The mudguard had to be modified to expose the shock and it divides opinion... I quite like it compared to some of the German industrial solutions for this type of conversion, which put a big bulge over the shock.

tyred

Legendary Member
Nice job. I'd love one of those but would need to sit a driving test to be able to use it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Over 3 decades ago I had a GSXR1100. One day I was razzing up the A5 when in the distance I spotted a group of a dozen or so scooter boys putt putting up the road. I dropped a gear and gunned it and shot through the middle of the group at a three figure speed closer to having a 2 at the beginning than a 1. I looked in my mirrors to see them wobbling all over the place like well dressed skittles.

Despite such loutish behaviour, I actually like scooters.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Over 3 decades ago I had a GSXR1100. One day I was razzing up the A5 when in the distance I spotted a group of a dozen or so scooter boys putt putting up the road. I dropped a gear and gunned it and shot through the middle of the group at a three figure speed closer to having a 2 at the beginning than a 1. I looked in my mirrors to see them wobbling all over the place like well dressed skittles.

Despite such loutish behaviour, I actually like scooters.
I had a Lambretta GT200. Didn't do much 'putt putting' on that. It was quick for a scooter but still slow compared to your machine, although on a gradual descent on the A1(M) approaching Biggleswade (where I worked) I used to get it off the clock.. probably around 80-85mph. That was fast enough for me on a scooter. Problem is scooters aren't at all aerodynamic!

Gunk

Guru
Nice, however I don’t quite get the relevance of the Campagnolo stickers.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Campagbolo stickers indicated the alternative mode of transport he uses when the scooter is not working. Consider it a stylish alternative to an AA grille badge.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I don't like the disc brake, why would you do that and not just buy a PX or a cheap LML? I like it......... but I preferred it before, sorry the disc front ruins it for me. I have a 1962 Gran Lusso, I know the brakes are useless but it looks better and that is what is more important to me.^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
@3narf . I am totally useless at anything mechanical but I think its a beautiful machine.
Having said that.......back in 1964 it would not have looked right with my ice blue jeans, tab collar shirt, blue serge waistcoat and cuban heels..........it had to be a motor bike ^_^

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I don't like the disc brake, why would you do that and not just buy a PX or a cheap LML? I like it......... but I preferred it before, sorry the disc front ruins it for me. I have a 1962 Gran Lusso, I know the brakes are useless but it looks better and that is what is more important to me.^_^
Not me, it has to work dynamically as well. I swore after my last Rally 200 I would never ride with that type of front end again. :laugh: I converted my ETS to disc in 2011 if you remember, and it was always my intention to do this one too. The PX drum is just about usable in modern traffic but not your old pogo job.

I still have the old fork if you want to make an offer! It's not going back on any of my machines! :becool:

Top Bottom