Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Different rules in different areas, obviously, but the whole Scottish mainland is now in our tier 4 restrictions, which is effectively very similar to the original lockdown. We are allowed out for exercise but that exercise should start and finish at your home address. Non essential travel should be avoided...
One of the hill shepherds spoke to some people walking up the Glenturret Dam here that had come from other areas.....even one from England. I despair :sad:

Slick

Guru
I can tell you where there are 2 vehicles that have been off the road since Christmas day other than Mrs Slick going for the weekly shopping on her own. :whistle:

When I have been out on my bike I have seen a number of people who have driven out to the dams and other small lochs for fishing, paddle boarding, swimming and the usual walkers as well. I honestly don't blame them as they seem safe to me and as I'm not sure if I can face another icy cycle, I may join them later this afternoon.

gbb

Legendary Member
It could be a mix of things, but mostly, its peoples 'choices' to conduct themselves the way they do.
And businesses, Asda for instance, selling fireworks, how in the hell was that essential ? Alcohol, is that essential ? Its a free for all out there.
Some shops have put two fingers up to common sense. An awful lot of people, possibly the majority, have as well.

D

Deleted member 26715

he big (only?) plus of a macdonalds to me was the quick in and out.
Not at our local one, they are inept, they are an embarrassment to the fast food name, they ended up with the Police there the other day, they were queued through the drive through, out onto the road, up the road to the roundabout & then down the dual carriageway, completely blocking off the access to the petrol station, Sainsbury's & the local firms.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am fed up with it but not prepared to potentially risk my life and think 'Sod it' and carry on as normal. Ending up in hospital near death is too higher price for the sake of being fed up in my opinion.
As always, wise words from Oldhippy. The virus would likely prove fatal for Mrs D who has an auto immune disease, and Mini D is asthmatic. Im well avove average fitness, but I'm smack in the danger zone age wise and have male pattern baldness, which is the single biggest genetic imdicator of risk among adult males so I'm also very keen not to get it. With all this in mind we're all being uber scrupulous about obeying the rules, and then some.

People who don't observe the rules are fools. People who try and make themselves look clever by scoring political points from the situation are fools. People who just don't think this is serious, or doesn't apply to them are fools. This illness is no joke, and is now the biggest single cause of death among adults in the UK.

I don't give a sheet if people are sick and tired of it, or of they think the government should be doing something else, or blah blah blah whinge moan whatever - shifting blame to someone or something else is an irrelevance We as individuals all know what we need to be doing, yet far too few are doing it. If we all did that then Boris could strip naked and start wearing a jesters hat for all the difference it would make - the reason things aren't working is because of the behaviour of a significant sector of the population, and thats their fault and no one elses. Blaming Boris or Chris Whitty for your own lack of hygiene and distancing as your rattle away your last breaths on a venitilator isn't going to help - that's the virus equivalent of a dying cyclist screaming "it was my right of way!"

Christ, if Hitler tried to invade today we'd all be speaking German by Friday if this is an indication of how well we pull together to do what's right in the 21st century. And then there would still be people who would blame someone else for their own lack of backbone.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Well said!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They are going to McDonalds. I’ve many a time passed them queuing back out into the road for the drive through and car park full.
But they are practicing safe distancing..... by not going near the bin when disposing of the food packaging afterwards! My early am commute yesterday revealed the typical weekend trail of ejected McD rubbish in the road at regular locations along the 10 mile route :cursing:
This was one of the nicer side effects of the original lockdown when the fastfood outlets were largely closed for a period. The littering resumed the moment they reopened!

I haven't seen those reports I don't read newspapers, but if you think about it logically if they are all training & playing together, then seeing their wives, as long as nobody outside their 'bubble' is involved what difference does it make?
Well there's a photo doing the rounds of 3 Tottenham and one West Ham player plus approx 20 friends all having a knees up. Sorry, but you are wrong.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have you seen this morning's report about the parties Premier League footballers have been having over Xmas? Mainly Tottenham and West Ham but also Man City and Palace. Plus a host of lower league players have been flagrantly breaking the rules. The capacity for some people to be completely stupid knows no bounds.

And then they post pictures of themselves breaking the rules. Mindless idiots.
Your talking about footballers, Why are you surprised?

Do any of these "celebrities" ever actually get fined?
I have never read a report of one.
They just seem to issue worthless apologies through their PR channels.
I have an unfortunate impression that there is a real bias in the way these fines are applied - ie mostly to those lower down the social pecking order/the little people.
The lesson from above to our law enforcers starting with the Boris/Cummings affair.

Top Bottom