Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Remember the original version of lockdown when traffic levels were way down and cycling on main roads was fun? What happened this time round?
Yesterday I was out and traffic levels were no different from a normal Saturday afternoon. Why? Where are they going? Non essential retail are all closed; no leisure or entertainment venues open; not a lot of workers on Saturday 2nd January; and visiting people is severely restricted. Essential travel only? My erse!! :sad:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I said exactly that to someone the other day. On a ride out I stuck to NCN 1 but thought I would come back via town and you'd have thought it was a Saturday! Mental. The stupidity of people never fails to astound me.

Have you seen this morning's report about the parties Premier League footballers have been having over Xmas? Mainly Tottenham and West Ham but also Man City and Palace. Plus a host of lower league players have been flagrantly breaking the rules. The capacity for some people to be completely stupid knows no bounds.

And then they post pictures of themselves breaking the rules. Mindless idiots.

tyred

Legendary Member
The other problem is that a lot of drivers use the minor roads I like to walk and cycle on to avoid the possibility of checkpoints and they drive like complete selfish clowns.

Road deaths have actually gone up here in 2020 despite the fall in traffic volumes but the government has managed to find some obscure metfic to declare their road safety initiative a success:wacko:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The vast majority of people have been largely stuck at home for over 9 months now, working in the same place they eat and sleep, the same 2 or 3 other people for company all day every day. Personally I'm at my mental limit, so I understand people needing to get out.
It's not "lockdown", there are restrictions of course but not the same as May, you can go and sit in a park for example. Many will need to get out for the sake of their heads and to avoid snapping at home, even if it's to a quieter part of town to get some outdoor air, or even drive to somewhere new to walk, away from other people.
Seeing increased traffic and more people out compared to May doesn't necessarily mean there is large scale irresponsible behaviour going on... there's certainly some, but mostly I think it's stir crazy people just trying to stay sane. I'd rather they cycled or walked, but also I'd rather someone went out for a drive rather than punch their kids.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
A huge chunk of them appeared to be making the most of the end of Xmas deals. Whole families with trolleys piled high. Not everyone granted but a good proportion. It clearly says outside shop alone if you can.

It's not "lockdown"
I think most people will struggle to see the difference between the majority of the country being in Tier 4 and a full on lockdown. Boris and laughing boy Whitty are playing semantics when they say there is no lockdown. There is, but many folk have got fed up with seeing 12 months of restrictions leading to a position that is as bad, if not worse than where we were in March.

Also, have you noticed that those who were considered vulnerable last March and told to stay at home on pain of a £10,000 fine are no no longer anywhere near the head of the queue for the vaccinations?

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you seen this morning's report about the parties Premier League footballers have been having over Xmas? Mainly Tottenham and West Ham but also Man City and Palace. Plus a host of lower league players have been flagrantly breaking the rules. The capacity for some people to be completely stupid knows no bounds.

And then they post pictures of themselves breaking the rules. Mindless idiots.
I haven't seen those reports I don't read newspapers, but if you think about it logically if they are all training & playing together, then seeing their wives, as long as nobody outside their 'bubble' is involved what difference does it make?

So where is the damage being done? Them for having the party or for the newspaper for reporting it making others think if they can do it so can I although the circumstances might be completely different.

I am not defending them, they shouldn't be doing it, but what was the best course of action for the gossip columns, report it or ignore it?

Top Bottom