Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
But that is not the law, is it?
No, but they never set such a limit last March April. Maybe done with the intention of making it easier should it become law.

Tod by the way has a Rochdale Oldham postcode, for the most part. Making it harder to stay within the post code district, whilst remaining within the borough.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would have thought that given Todmorden has a reasonable range of shops (Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons) then driving to Hebden bridge to shop would be non-local,
Tod Aldi isn't quite open yet! Yes, we do have Lidl and Morrisons.

Should the people of Hebden Bridge be allowed to come here to use those 2 stores since they just have a small Co-op? :whistle:

Tod by the way has a Rochdale postcode, for the most part. Making it harder to stay within the post code district, whilst remaining within the borough.
OL14 (Oldham?) but a West Yorkshire council, so should I stay local in West Yorkshire or Lancashire...? :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Tod Aldi isn't quite open yet! Yes, we do have Lidl and Morrisons.

Should the people of Hebden Bridge be allowed to come here to use those 2 stores since they just have a small Co-op? :whistle:

OL14 (Oldham?) but a West Yorkshire council, so should I stay local in West Yorkshire or Lancashire...? :laugh:
Council say stay within the first part of your postcode, but not outside the borough.

Should prove "interesting" if they start policing it.

Milzy

Guru
No, but they never set such a limit last March April. Maybe done with the intention of making it easier should it become law.

Tod by the way has a Rochdale postcode, for the most part. Making it harder to stay within the post code district, whilst remaining within the borough.
Fun fact, I can do a one hourish loop that will hit North, East, West & South Yorkshire. Strange boundaries & I can also say I’ve seen groups cycling around even though it should be 2 ups.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can almost guarantee that some highly paid contract advisors are still being paid ££££££ to not run the track & trace system though.
That's just the way we do things in the UK though isn't it! :whistle:

For example - How about £20,000 on consultancy fees to come up with a name for the institution to be formed by merging The University of Bradford and Bradford College? Three months later the genius consultants came up with a shortlist of 3 alternative names - Bradford University, University of Bradford and The University of Bradford. I would have done it in 3 minutes for £1,000! :laugh:

You probably think that I made that example up - NOPE! :wacko:

PS And then the merger was called off anyway! :banghead:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For whatever reasons, people are really not getting the message this time around. Police getting bad press too, for handing out fines to miscreants.
No, they get a bad press for fining people for driving to their local country park and having a "picnic" that consisted of a flask of coffee - which is not against the law, or likely to spread covid.

No point having restrictions in place if they are not being enforced. Bring on the fines, and lots of them; IMHO...
Yes, for breaking the restrictions, not the crazy guidance.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just because you are allowed to do these things, doesn't make it alright. It's not in the spirit of doing your bit to try to contain a potentially deadly virus.
I was explaining why the retail park might be busy. I wasn't making a judgement about whether it should be busy.

Todmorden is a small town, most of the 15,000-odd population being concentrated into a fairly tight area, constrained by steep valley hillsides. If we are made to stay in the town then those 15,000 people will be wandering about local pavements, the park, or a short length of canal towpath!

OTOH, we are surrounded higher up by vast areas of moorland and many km of country roads. It would be much better for people to be allowed to take to the hills and get away from each other. I am going to assume that the law will see the sense in that and not try to force me back down into the throng below!
Exactly. Folk need to apply some common sense, including some of the folk with some form of debating tourettes on bits of here. I know in a few countries they have now and in the past instituted rules, backed by on the spot fines, where you have to stay within 1km or whatever of home. Since some of those countries have a very high concentration of flats, I can see a near endless snake of folk walking endlessly round their small block. The Brit approach seems far more sensible to me and I think generally folk are using common sense.
I was out riding round London solo yesterday - maybe about 30k in all. It was pretty cold, 2 degrees or so. There were lots and lots of folk out and about - I must have passed thousands - more than I would expect for such a day in normal non cursed times. I don't recall seeing anyone doing anything I would see as unsafe.

Last edited:
I would have thought that given Todmorden has a reasonable range of shops (Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons) then driving to Hebden bridge to shop would be non-local, but heading out on the empty moors to exercise would be local. A cycling loop that took in the different communities of Hebdon Bridge, Burnley, Bacup and back to Hebdon would be non-local. ??
Did you do a GPX for that? Been meaning to do for a while.

D

Deleted member 26715

I know in a few countries they have now and in the past instituted rules, backed by on the spot fines, where you have to stay within 1km or whatever of home.
But at least that way you know where you stand, I can walk out into the countryside less than 1/2 mile from my house, but there is a nice walk just over a mile away, then I have access to Clumber Park, but that is 8 miles away. I don't think I'm in any less danger or in any more danger doing any of them (other than the car journey), currently all of them are legal/acceptable. However the rumour mill has it there was a Police car sat on one of the entrances to Clumber Park asking people where they had come from.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Exactly. Illegal rave just broken up in Bristol on the news. First lockdown G.Man police broke up 200 parties in a week.

Bike rides and Q's for KFC drive-thrus are not the problem.
Except to the Corona Moaners ...
Wiser heads on the free party scene have been urging people not to organise or attend any parties under the current circumstances. And if your attitude is that because some people have gone to a party then I might as well go for a long bike ride, that's exactly the problem I've been alluding to on another thread. Because if you can go on a long bike ride then I might as well go for a drive. And if I'm going for a drive I might as well stop at a cafe. And as I'm out, I might as well visit my friend. etc etc.

I'm both a cyclist and a party goer and I would ask both to curtail their activities and stay at home as much as possible.

But at least that way you know where you stand, I can walk out into the countryside less than 1/2 mile from my house, but there is a nice walk just over a mile away, then I have access to Clumber Park, but that is 8 miles away. I don't think I'm in any less danger or in any more danger doing any of them (other than the car journey), currently all of them are legal/acceptable. However the rumour mill has it there was a Police car sat on one of the entrances to Clumber Park asking people where they had come from.
I still prefer the Brit approach.
And news of how those - in my view barmy - laws are being complied with is a bit limited.
I'd do any of the things you suggest as long as you only have your household in the car.
Better to ride though.
If that police car was sat there I consider it more than a waste of time.
I am sure that in the county there were way more important things, covid and non covid issues, they could have been dealing with.
No coppers stopped me in my ride round London yesterday.

Top Bottom