Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Todmorden is a small town, most of the 15,000-odd population being concentrated into a fairly tight area, constrained by steep valley hillsides. If we are made to stay in the town then those 15,000 people will be wandering about local pavements, the park, or a short length of canal towpath!

OTOH, we are surrounded higher up by vast areas of moorland and many km of country roads. It would be much better for people to be allowed to take to the hills and get away from each other. I am going to assume that the law will see the sense in that and not try to force me back down into the throng below!

I have just returned from picking up food supplies and pass two retail parks on the way. Car parks full, queues at kfc and as busy as any Saturday.
If these places are open then people are always going to go, why is this a surprise to you?

Are they not allowed to go there under the existing rules?

If not then it's clearly wrong, if it's allowed then they will as there's nothing else to do.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
If these places are open then people are always going to go, why is this a surprise to you?

Are they not allowed to go there under the existing rules?

If not then it's clearly wrong, if it's allowed then they will as there's nothing else to do.
But why are they going to retail parks when all but essential retail (KFC 😄) are supposed to be closed? Are people really that sad that they need to drive to a mostly closed retail park for their entertainment?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
For whatever reasons, people are really not getting the message this time around. Police getting bad press too, for handing out fines to miscreants. No point having restrictions in place if they are not being enforced. Bring on the fines, and lots of them; IMHO...

Could do with some much harder messaging than the rather tame Whitty missives for some of the thickos we know.

I really don't give a toss that some people can't seem to live without seeing their grown up (?) kids, that no longer live with them, every other day or that you can't go and hit a little ball around a green with a stick well, diddums to you, people are dying out there and if these are your only problems then count your blessings.

Had enough of some friends and family that really ought to know better. :cursing:

The message is currently stay home - how about; your selfish actions are killing people and if the cap fits wear it?

I've got no copy-writing skills whatsoever so I'll leave it to others to tidy it up.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But why are they going to retail parks when all but essential retail (KFC 😄) are supposed to be closed? Are people really that sad that they need to drive to a mostly closed retail park for their entertainment?
KFC is a food shop - allowed to open for takeaway only. A retail park is likely to include DIY shops, supermarkets, pet shops and garden centres - all allowed to open as normal - as well as various shops doing click & collect - which is allowed.

During the first lockdown you were only allowed to work if you could either do it from home or were doing one of a relatively limited number of priority jobs. The same isn't true now - you are allowed to travel to do your job, whatever it is.

postman

Legendary Member
This old far t here thinks it will get worse.Masks everywhere and total shut down of takeaways.Then parks and areas of recreation. Will be monitored even more.Holidays will need certificates proving no illness.This is not over by a long way.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
This is not over by a long way.
I fear you are correct. There are far too many people seeking out loopholes to allow them to do what they want. If all these selfish nobbers had paid attention and obeyed the initial lockdown last March then maybe, just maybe, we could have had this virus beaten within a few months, and life would have gone back to normal by now.
But oh no, it's just sooo essential that young Tarquin and Oliver get their burger at McD's and then go over to play with the McPosh twins 25 miles away... Hence why we are still facing restrictions and people are dying, FFS :cursing:.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
People cannot have it all ways. Until everyone rich or poor realise that the virus is a lucky dip you may survive if you get it you may not. Those odds suck. I am going to keep myself to myself and interact as little as possible and all being well get my boat to live on and a quiet life at the end of it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I agree it is not over but it is really important to focus on things that might make a difference. There is still a lot of mixing, kids at school, twins and buses running and people at work. my fear is that the furore about outdoor recreation is a distraction.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
KFC is a food shop - allowed to open for takeaway only. A retail park is likely to include DIY shops, supermarkets, pet shops and garden centres - all allowed to open as normal - as well as various shops doing click & collect - which is allowed.

During the first lockdown you were only allowed to work if you could either do it from home or were doing one of a relatively limited number of priority jobs. The same isn't true now - you are allowed to travel to do your job, whatever it is.
Just because you are allowed to do these things, doesn't make it alright. It's not in the spirit of doing your bit to try to contain a potentially deadly virus.

Top Bottom