Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm both a cyclist and a party goer and I would ask both to curtail their activities and stay at home as much as possible.
Parties I can understand as by their nature they are a group of people all together, but cycling, explain the logic why you would ask people not to do it, again group riding I can understand, but solo? Other than a perceived risk of accident, although I don't think the numbers bear that out.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Parties I can understand as by their nature they are a group of people all together, but cycling, explain the logic why you would ask people not to do it, again group riding I can understand, but solo? Other than a perceived risk of accident, although I don't think the numbers bear that out.
Optics.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not only doing the right thing, but also being seen to be doing the right thing. Encourage compliance among others. There are cyclists on this forum talking about going out on 100km rides. That may or may not be a perfectly safe thing to do, but it could be that people don't perceive it as such. The last thing we need is for a load of frothing anti-cyclists getting wind of us all out for a day's jolly and using that as an excuse to break lockdown themselves. Because if I can ride 100km then I can drive 100km, right?

Not only doing the right thing, but also being seen to be doing the right thing. Encourage compliance among others. There are cyclists on this forum talking about going out on 100km rides. That may or may not be a perfectly safe thing to do, but it could be that people don't perceive it as such. The last thing we need is for a load of frothing anti-cyclists getting wind of us all out for a day's jolly and using that as an excuse to break lockdown themselves. Because if I can ride 100km then I can drive 100km, right?
don't see how that answers the question about optics.
I prescribe another walk in the woods - without looking at the phone.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just because there is a remote chance that an odd rider takes the proverbial & goes for an excessive ride, you are suggesting we all stop riding, Sorry that is an excessive jump IMHO, it's almost like saying just because somebody drives a car somewhere stupid, then nobody should drive a car.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just because there is a remote chance that an odd rider takes the proverbial & goes for an excessive ride, you are suggesting we all stop riding, Sorry that is an excessive jump IMHO, it's almost like saying just because somebody drives a car somewhere stupid, then nobody should drive a car.
I'm not suggesting we all stop riding, just that we all stick to short rides in our local area, for exercise, commuting or essential utility.

johnblack

Über Member
Fun fact, I can do a one hourish loop that will hit North, East, West & South Yorkshire. Strange boundaries & I can also say I’ve seen groups cycling around even though it should be 2 ups.
I can do a loop that takes me out to Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire in a about the same, stretch it a bit and I could add in Bedfordshire or Leicestershire,

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I can do a loop that takes me out to Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire in a about the same, stretch it a bit and I could add in Bedfordshire or Leicestershire,
You are a very naughty cyclist and I think you are being deliberately provocative. Tut-tut . Someone will come round and let your tyres down. But I think your safe your outside there Local area . :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not suggesting we all stop riding, just that we all stick to short rides in our local area, for exercise, commuting or essential utility.
in that case I misunderstood what you were suggesting, that's why I couldn't see the logic in what you were saying, personally I'm very rarely more than 10 miles from home at any one time on the bike, although like others that could include 3 counties & numerous councils.

johnblack

Über Member
You are a very naughty cyclist and I think you are being deliberately provocative. Tut-tut . Someone will come round and let your tyres down. But I think your safe your outside there Local area . :laugh::laugh::laugh:.
A few weeks back I was riding round the trails and woods that surround Silverstone circuit and crossed multiple times from tier 2 to tier 4, I'm sure the air thickened as I crossed the otherwise invisible boundary.

Top Bottom