Lockdown Wheels & tyres !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
4FD42AB0-1230-4938-AB10-38CB58C6E118.jpeg
D257EA94-422B-47C1-B1B9-47E404E2915E.jpeg
FCEC60F0-DAD5-461F-9AC2-9E974C5A1557.jpeg

So I’m cycling home from my evening “sundowner cycle” a couple of streets away there’s rubbish leaning against the front wall of this house for the tat man/rag & bone man (steptoe & son) - anyway you know the rest the frame, gearing Chain set etc knackered but I thought those wheels / tyres look ok ?
Pop back around in the car quick release job ! So anyone know what the wheels are re mm or the tyres I think are 700 x 38s need to give them a wash !

Can I use these on any bike excuse my ignorance I’ve got a Carrera crossfire and a Boardman hybrid ?

any advice as ever much appreciated (apologies for long thread)

Attachments

• E5236408-06D3-4501-B8BE-4E1E4DA64A4F.jpeg
    E5236408-06D3-4501-B8BE-4E1E4DA64A4F.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13

vickster

Legendary Member
Those rims look pretty worn :ohmy:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The rims look OK to me, and there's plenty of life left in the tyres.
That groove is the wear indicator. It's meant to vanish when the rim's worn out.

The wheels will fit any non-disc hybrid, including your Carrera, and I expect the Boardman.

What may well not be salvageable is the cassette. It would need to have the same number of sprockets as your existing bikes, but even if it has, there's an excellent chance that it won't be at the same state of wear as your existing bikes and the chain will slip. By all means give it a go though - an out of the saddle sprint in a middling gear, taking care to stand tall enough to keep your undercarriage clear of the top tube & saddle if chainslip does happen.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Ok thanks - so my 90 Steel rim brake bike yes but both my Carrera & Hybrid are disk brakes - so no (have I got that right ?)

Top Bottom