Locking a thread... no , really!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Loctite red is expensive if I'm only gonna use a couple of drops... and I don't want this thread to ever break free.

Options currently in the cupboard are;

superglue
gorilla glue
PVA
no more nails
gripfill
bathroom sealant
egg
flour
porridge oats
solder

...I'm open to suggestions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Superglue is surprisingly good, but you've got to work fast. I fixed a bearing race in some hubs with superglue, but had to be fast.

gbb

Legendary Member
Of your available ingredients, id go gripfill or no more nails, although fuxed and soldered may be really quite good if you have a blowtorch, i wouldnt think youd generate enough heat with a soldering iron.

A drop of superglue at the bottoming out point is fairly safe for assembly speed, along with some on the screw countersink, but I might just be tempted to give the threaded tube a damn good squeeze in a vice.

Gunk

Guru
Bathroom silicone works, I’ve used it on motorcycles for years, when I’ve got a thread that I’m never going to break. You just need a tiny dab

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Stick it in a vice. Stick a load of flux in it. Screw the male in half way. Heat it up with a blow torch. Feed some solder into it. Then very quickly nip it up before the solder sets.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
some good tips... Thank you.

But i failed to mention that once glued in, the screw nut will have to be able to turn counter-clockwise without the bond breaking and it'll be under a fair bit of strain (no idea how much).

It's a botched together truss-rod nut for a guitar; M6 thread with a 4mm hex... they don't sell them so had to improvise.

I could try giving it a good wallop with a centre punch on either side??? The cylinder walls are about 2mm thick.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just buy a tube of the right grade locktite. There's low and medium strenght which comes undone and high strength which needs a blowtorch to get undone. I don't understand your point about cost. A bottle can't be much more than a fiver so if you use a couple of drops twice a year for a few years it's maybe a quid a use - and more importantly it's the right stuff.

Top Bottom