Locking a thread... no , really!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ask a Cycle Chat moderator. They do it all the time.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just buy a tube of the right grade locktite. There's low and medium strenght which comes undone and high strength which needs a blowtorch to get undone. I don't understand your point about cost. A bottle can't be much more than a fiver so if you use a couple of drops twice a year for a few years it's maybe a quid a use - and more importantly it's the right stuff.
After a hasty interweb search prior to starting this thread, Loctite Blue was around £7 and the red stuff (high strength) was over £30 for a tiny bottle!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
After a hasty interweb search prior to starting this thread, Loctite Blue was around £7 and the red stuff (high strength) was over £30 for a tiny bottle!

there are (seemingly pukka) ebay sellers stocking every grade of loctite you'll ever need for around the £7 you mention. Seems fair enough to me. You presumably don't want the high strength anyway - it's not "better" (nor more expensive); it's for a different job such that it never ever comes undone even if you want it to.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

there are (seemingly pukka) ebay sellers stocking every grade of loctite you'll ever need for around the £7 you mention. Seems fair enough to me. You presumably don't want the high strength anyway - it's not "better" (nor more expensive); it's for a different job such that it never ever comes undone even if you want it to.
which is what i want (I think i said that in the OP)

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Update... it seems the screw has magically locked itself into the threaded cylinder all by itself... I've not tried anything other than torque as yet, but i can't get the bugger out... even gripping it in a plier clamp and using an extra long hex, it won't budge. Bit premature as I still need to grind about 1.5mm off the open end... but hey-ho :whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Update... it seems the screw has magically locked itself into the threaded cylinder all by itself... I've not tried anything other than torque as yet, but i can't get the bugger out... even gripping it in a plier clamp and using an extra long hex, it won't budge. Bit premature as I still need to grind about 1.5mm off the open end... but hey-ho :whistle:
Components that magically lock tend to do the reverse just as well :whistle:

Top Bottom