Locking bike while camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Never had any problems in UK or abroad, always just use whatever's to hand (tree, fence, lamppost etc.) with a d-lock and have even just left the bike on the ground next to the tent, locked through both wheels and frame with d-lock and cable.

If you were particularly concerned about a place looking/feeling dodgy and there wasn't a tree nearby, I'd just ask the campsite owners if there's a shed/garage/somewhere a bit more secure you can lock it.

I have heard of people tying guy ropes to the bike or even a thin cord from bike to body (fingers/toes) to ensure any tampering awakes the owner but it seems a little over the top to me.

In the past, I've taken to erecting my tent with one of the poles running through the main frame triangle before being located in the groundsheet eyelet in the normal way.

If someone wants to steal the bike the tent has to be partially dismantled beforehand! It's not ideal but works as a reasonable bodge.

HTH,
S

MessenJah

Rider
husbandhm.jpg

LOL!

I'm gonna have the same problem, and the above solution wont even work for me because I'm gonna be using a gelert Solo tent. I won't even be able to fit my panniers in the tent, never mind the bike!

MessenJah

Rider
The bike is too big to fit in the tent!

JackE

Über Member
Has anyone used the 7ft long Kryptonite 10mm cable lock? I'm seriously considering one as it would easily secure two bikes together or a single to a tree or other (large) immovable object. I've seen one on the net for under £10.

Crankarm

Guru
vernon said:
I don't think that bike thieves routinely target camp sites. Touring bikes are not that attractive to them and the market for s/h touring bikes is pretty limited.

More often than not I didn't lock my bike when camping here in the UK or in France and when I did, it was with a cable lock with a cable diameter of 1cm or so. Not enough to prevent theft via bolt croppers but enough to dissuade the opportunist thief.

Seek to pitch your tent near to an immovable object and secure your bike to the object e.g. tree, bush, fencing.

My first post here, so be gentle, although on this topic one I have some forthright views but they are born out of bitter experience.

Campsites are magnets for opportunist thieves. When I worked on campsites in France, Italy and Germany in the mid 1990s bikes were always going missing and no one ever heard or saw anything untoward. Then it clicked. Quite a few thefts always seemed to occur early in the mornings when people checking out were quietly sneaking out. Anyone with a caravan or motorhome just lifted unsecured bikes and put them inside as they were about to depart and no one was any the wiser until the owners discovered their bikes had gone several hours later when they awoke.

I wouldn't touch cable locks with a barge pole. Too easy to cut through. For me a D-lock every time and a substantial one at that. I also wouldn't touch Kryptonite as I had a Brompton stolen in 2005 locked up with a Krptonite New Yorker D-lock. Absolutely bl00dy useless it was. So now my bike(s) are secured with x2 Abuse Granit X Plus 54 long D-locks every time on the front and rear wheels attached to something very solid indeed.

samid

Guru
Crankarm: was that Kryptonite unlocked or cut? was it perhaps the old model with the "ring" keyhole that apparently could be opened with a Big pen cap?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Crankarm, most people (well, me anyway) are reluctant to carry as much weight as that on a touring trip.
I have never felt my bike was vulnerable in France or Germany but perhaps I'm naive!

Top Bottom