Locking bike while camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
samid said:
Crankarm: was that Kryptonite unlocked or cut? was it perhaps the old model with the "ring" keyhole that apparently could be opened with a Big pen cap?

Had to be. The Kryptonite New York (with the flat key) is probably the best d-lock on the market.

Bodhbh

Guru
Crankarm said:
I wouldn't touch cable locks with a barge pole. Too easy to cut through. For me a D-lock every time and a substantial one at that.
Last week a flatmate had an 10mm cable lock he'd lost the keys too he wanted getting off his frame. I have a set of boltcroppers, not the massive ones, they're perhaps 14-15inches long . Anyhow, took about a second to snip it off, I braced myself but there was not even much resistance.

I suppose they do stop someone just throwing an unlocked bike in the back of a van at 5am tho. I've been using a single cable lock up to now and not bothered about the front wheel, but starting to wonder if it's worth lugging something a bit more secure about. Those folding locks seem okay, I used one on my first tour that came with the rental bike - would need power tools or a non-trival amount of hacksawing/drilling to break I would think. The one I used was an Abus one and folded up to something the size of a jumbo Mars bar which strapped direct to the frame.

When I first started touring in europe I carried a D lock but it did not take me long to suss out that most of the immovable objects on campsites (ie trees) were too big for the dlock. I now carry a 10ft cable lock which unless the hairs on the back of my neck disagree or I am going to be away from my tent for a good while does not get used (someone did nick the combination lock in sardinia when I stopped to look over a cliff - my bike is obviously not something that anyone would want to be lumbered with) - most european campsites nobobody is very interested in bike - the dutch and germans leave loadsa much nicer bikes than mine unlocked all over the place - Ive always thought the risk of getting mugged on the road is probably greater - however if I toured more in UK I would probably go back to carrying the dlock - does that say something

Crankarm

Guru
andym said:
Had to be. The Kryptonite New York (with the flat key) is probably the best d-lock on the market.

It had these round keys with crinkly edges. D-lock was not cut but opened. Totally ******g useless. Will never buy kryptonite again. It was doubly gutting as 2 weeks before I had taken the bike on a touring holiday on the Eurostar and TGV 1st class down to Biarritz to cycle the major Cols of the Pyrennees the Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Aspin and the Louvre in Paris.

On the campsites it was often the large motorhomes of germans, dutch and belgians that were suspected of being Madehoffs.

WRT weight the D-locks are a bit.....weighty but once you get used to cycling with them no problem. You don't need a turbo trainer, one in each pannier.Great for building cycling legs. :biggrin:

andym

Über Member
Crankarm said:
It had these round keys with crinkly edges. D-lock was not cut but opened. Totally ******g useless. Will never buy kryptonite again. It was doubly gutting as 2 weeks before I had taken the bike on a touring holiday on the Eurostar and TGV 1st class down to Biarritz to cycle the major Cols of the Pyrennees the Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Aspin and the Louvre in Paris..

I'm sorry for the loss of your bike and the holiday. I know it's no comfort for you (and if anything I'm rubbing salt in the wound) but Kryptonite did a major programme to recall and replace these locks in late 2004/ early 2005.

Crankarm said:
On the campsites it was often the large motorhomes of germans, dutch and belgians that were suspected of being Madehoffs

Another reason to steer clear of campervanners.

samid

Guru
Yes, having a bike stolen sucks majorly. Been there :smile: (not due to any lock's deficiencies though - left it in a garage with the door open).

I also had one of those Kryptonite D-locks with round keys - and Kryptonite replaced it with a new one, with a flat key, during that recall program andym mentioned. And maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I did take it rather than a cable lock on tour. Somehow I always managed to find a suitable tree or fence. A cable "lock" is too easy to cut.

Crankarm

Guru
Unfortunately I didn't hear of the recall ;), but my insurance paid for a new bike which I have indirectly paid for in the subsequently increased premium and loss of NCD. Perhaps I should present Kyptonite with the bill for replacement bike? My bike was stolen in July 2004. I still have the lock, why o why I don't know.

Top Bottom