Locksmith help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for everyones advice so far, will have a go later when back from work.

Twiggy said:
Fault diagnosis, 101.

Does the key fit the lock? Yes
Does it rotate when fitted in the lock? Yes 90 degrees the right way (unlocking) and it rotates the other way too.
Was the lock "sticking" before the problem developed further? Only slightly.

Mr Pig

I assume you could get in the front door? This happened to us and we couldn't get in the front door because we'd left a key in the lock on the inside! Thankfully we managed to free the lock, and after a good clean out it's been fine ever since. And we're now careful never to leave a key in the front door! ;0)

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
It's well rattled and so am I.

Not drilled one out before, any advice on that from anyone please? I've got a spare door so could use that lock if need be.

Why don't you just lean the spare door against the wall, open it and go in that way?:sad:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Why don't you just lean the spare door against the wall, open it and go in that way?:sad:

:sad: I could get one of those holes in sacks they used to use, probably more portable.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thke the handle off on the inside and you may be able to see some of the mechanism of the lock. Sometimes a prod with a screwdriver in the right place will free up the lock.

It sounds as if there is some wear in the lock from previous sticking.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:
Why don't you just lean the spare door against the wall, open it and go in that way?;)

You would need to move the door, and put an empty marmelade container in its place, then the door would be a jar.

Note that you should not use an posh conserve container, or you will be in a jam.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Done it (well half of it) :thumbsup:

Got the door open :biggrin:, it would have been easier if I hadn't snapped three drill bits in the lock and had to try and get them out.

I had to take all the locking mechanism and gubbins out to get the old barrel removed though.

Just need to get the right size lock tomorrow and it's all hunkydory again.

(it's taken 4 hours to do this :blush:)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
longers said:
Done it (well half of it) :biggrin:

Got the door open :biggrin:, it would have been easier if I hadn't snapped three drill bits in the lock and had to try and get them out.

I had to take all the locking mechanism and gubbins out to get the old barrel removed though.

Just need to get the right size lock tomorrow and it's all hunkydory again.

(it's taken 4 hours to do this :thumbsup:)

not chunky doory then? :blush::biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
These were just from one of those boxes of 100 or so that you get from a DIY superstore, when enough of them break I take the old box to work and buy a new box for home use.

Top Bottom