loctite on pedal thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have used a torque wrench on stem bolts - just once, and it wasn't tight enough. It needed about....mmm .... ooo... about.... 20% more to stop it slipping.
Admittedly it was an alloy handlebar. If it had been carbon I'd have broken out the assembly paste instead.

Pedals - I'm in the finger tight and then a little nip-up with the pedal spanner camp.
I've never had a problem either.
My eldest had a pedal fall off his uni bike (one step below a pub bike). He denies it absolutely but I'm convinced he forgot that L pedal has LH thread and used his considerable upper body strength to mullah the thread. Fortunately my box of bits yielded up a spare LH crank.... He costs me a fortune in postage that boy.

MikeG

Guru
we were talking torque differences for different bolt sizes so we were talking "distance" not torque

You might have been, (and that is an odd thing to measure and an odd way of measuring it), but the post you were responding to (and quoted) was talking Nm.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You might have been, (and that is an odd thing to measure and an odd way of measuring it), but the post you were responding to (and quoted) was talking Nm.

oh well, i mis-read as bolt sizes - which still makes sense as does my answer.

byegad

Legendary Member
Having been brought up by a timed served fitter and turner father in the days of steel bicycles I've taken to using a torque wrench for important items on my largely Aluminium trikes. While steel components do need the correct torque you can afford to be a bit rough and ready, Aluminium is far less forgiving of over-tightening. At anything from £1600-£3000 a pop my rides deserve good treatment and my pedals don't come loose but are removable without resorting to brute force or a hammer.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Having been brought up by a timed served fitter and turner father in the days of steel bicycles I've taken to using a torque wrench for important items on my largely Aluminium trikes. While steel components do need the correct torque you can afford to be a bit rough and ready, Aluminium is far less forgiving of over-tightening. At anything from £1600-£3000 a pop my rides deserve good treatment and my pedals don't come loose but are removable without resorting to brute force or a hammer.
But do you use a torque wrench on them?

Top Bottom