loctite on pedal thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
had one or two problems with pedals coming slowly un-done? recently with the latest one on my commute today
as it was i was almost next to a friends house who works a a gas engineer and does a lot of building and fettling with vehicles and other stuff so has a fair few tools so i popped in and borrowed a 15mm spanner and tightened up the pedal then he suggested a bit of loctite on the thread to help in the future
any opinions on this? should i try it? or will it just make a big mess and not work?!
Cheers Ed

compo

Veteran
Loctite may help. Get the right one (there are different grades and strengths) and it may help secure the pedals but still allow easy removal if needed.

compo

Veteran
I would be asking why the pedals keep coming loose. Do you have worn or damaged threads in the cranks or are you not doing them up hard enough.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
usually the issue is stopping em seizing on and hence using grease or coppaslip rather than gluing them on solid with loctite. That said, I don't know why yours are undoing - but I'd be very wary of loctite given the risk of them being stuck on permanently. I guess that's much help though

MikeG

Guru
Does anyone ever have the problem of pedals coming loose? With the way they are threaded, the action of pedaling tightens them rather than loosening them. I see this as a solution seeking a problem.......

As an alternative to Loctite, superglue works well. Seriously. The bond breaks immediately you apply torsion. Loctite is more rubbery, and can make joints hard to undo. But as I said above, I really don't think this is necessary at all.

Mike

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I would also say no -you might have a problem getting it off in the future if you do depending on which type you use.

Better off trying to get a "proper" pedal spanner to give you the appropriate leverage to tighten it up (and don't forget to clean both sets of threads). I've never had a pedal unscrew after being tightened properly (though of course, that's not to say it can't)

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Guns required

Reactions: 4F

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'll second Profointy; with some older bikes it's been a bit of job getting pedals off. I've also used a dabble of anti-seize to prevent corrosion on occasion.

usually the issue is stopping em seizing on and hence using grease or coppaslip rather than gluing them on solid with loctite.

Sharky

Guru
I've been under the impression that the natural forces which are applied when peddling will be such that they don't come undone. And this is why the thread on one side is the opposite way. So if they are coming undone, something else must be happening?

Can you eliminate the pedals by using a pair from another bike and these pedals on another bike. If the fault transfers, then you know what the cause is.

Good luck

Keith

Top Bottom