loctite on pedal thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
http://bicycletutor.com/torque-specifications/

Have a look pedals are beyond finger tight and a bit.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
You use a proper tool. and give it some umph!

Or a torque wrench and an allen key, for most types of modern pedals.
mine have no allen key hole thingy! :sad:
so please advise me as to the correct tool for doing this (i basically need a torque spanner!)
Cheers Ed

MikeG

Guru
You use a proper tool. and give it some umph!.......

I wouldn't. Each to their own, and all that, but as I said earlier, the action of pedaling actually tightens the pedal in the crank, not loosens it. Aluminium is a soft metal, and over-torquing a bolt into it could cause permanent damage. I advocate, as have others, just doing it up slightly tighter than you can undo by hand.

screenman

Legendary Member
I wouldn't. Each to their own, and all that, but as I said earlier, the action of pedaling actually tightens the pedal in the crank, not loosens it. Aluminium is a soft metal, and over-torquing a bolt into it could cause permanent damage. I advocate, as have others, just doing it up slightly tighter than you can undo by hand.
I would say having a not tight enough bolt in alloy in not a good idea. Last thing I want when out of the saddle stamping on the pedals is a loose pedal.

I have seen pedals come off because they are loose, never have I seen one come off for being too tight.

You are unlikely to overtighten using a normal pedal spanner. However you may get reasonably close to the correct torque.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I would say having a not tight enough bolt in alloy in not a good idea. Last thing I want when out of the saddle stamping on the pedals is a loose pedal.

I have seen pedals come off because they are loose, never have I seen one come off for being too tight.

You are unlikely to overtighten using a normal pedal spanner. However you may get reasonably close to the correct torque.
yep, my dad had a pedal come out on his bike as a child and his manly bits landed straight on the top tube! ouch :cry:
Cheers Ed

ayceejay

Guru
If there is a dead spot on the pedal spindle it might undo, I think the problem is with the pedal rather than its fixing to the crank.
What pedals are they Ed?

screenman

Legendary Member
Try this, put a pedal in the crank a few turns, about half way in will do. Now turn the cranks by using the pedal, if it tightens itself change the pedal or at least fix the bearings.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
If there is a dead spot on the pedal spindle it might undo, I think the problem is with the pedal rather than its fixing to the crank.
What pedals are they Ed?
cheap sh*te plastic flat ones!
Try this, put a pedal in the crank a few turns, about half way in will do. Now turn the cranks by using the pedal, if it tightens itself change the pedal or at least fix the bearings.
will do! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom