loctite on pedal thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
...... the wrench was dodgy much un known to us and it sheared one of the bolts!.....

Most head bolts are single use, designed to stretch. They often fail if you attempt to re-use them. So before blaming the torque wrench, were these new bolts?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Last time I put pedals on, I tightened them up finger tight, then put a spanner on and nipped them a little more. Job done.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Most head bolts are single use, designed to stretch. They often fail if you attempt to re-use them. So before blaming the torque wrench, were these new bolts?
think so but will check
my dad has rebuilt too many motorbike and car engines in his youth so i will ask him if he used new bolts and if he has heard about this
Cheers Ed

Profpointy

Legendary Member
L
I said experts.
leaving aside carbon fibre, what fasteners on a bike are critical enough to need to worry unduly?
i'm assuming a modicum of mechanical "feel" here, as obviously you'd not want gorilla strength nor the opposite, but really?

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
on a push bike i just go by judgement

apart from the pedals which i reckon might be due to bearings i haven't had a problem so far?
i know many like to use a torque wrench on the stem where it clamps the bars but i really see no need for this!
Cheers Ed

on a push bike i just go by judgement

apart from the pedals which i reckon might be due to bearings i haven't had a problem so far?
i know many like to use a torque wrench on the stem where it clamps the bars but i really see no need for this!
Cheers Ed

Torque wrench.............never here, just feel. if its tight and feels tight that's enough, any more strips the fine small threads

Top Bottom