loctite on pedal thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well i'm well impressed 8 torque wrenches - i've made do with 2 after selling my 3/4 drive one - but never used any of em on my bike.

..... i'll get my coat...

I think you know I meant bikes. They go along with my 4 motorbikes.

I only have 1 torque wrench.......somewhere

Steve^_^

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
[QUOTE 2964489, member:259"]Quite right. I can't see how it could happen unless the thread was completely knackered.[/quote]
A bit like Ed's Dad after his pedal Incident!

jay72

Sounds like they have been over tightened at some point and the internal thread has a fracture along it, locktite may be your only option, unless someone is at it when your bikes locked up

Most experts use a torque wrench on lots of parts on the bike.
Maybe this has annoyed me more than it should - but, whatever. I get really annoyed when people state things as fact that aren't. When untruths come in the shape of advice it annoys me even more. 'Most' 'experts' do not use a torque wrench on 'lots of parts on the bike'. I work in a company which has a bicycle workshop, and it has a bike shop attached to it. We have a team of seven or eight professional mechanics. Some of them are old and experienced, some of them are young and qualified. Some are both. All are 'experts'. None of them uses a torque wrench on a regular basis, in fact I can say - hand on heart - that I've never seen a torque wrench used in our workshop. I never used one the whole time I was in charge of it and neither did the mechanics under me. This is the same amount of torque wrench use as I've witnessed in every single bike shop I've ever worked in, and I've worked in lots of bike shops. Some of them very high end. When I first started in a bicycle shop workshop I was taught the ropes by a pro mechanic, Tony Doyle's personal mechanic. He never, in my recollection, used a torque wrench. And he certainly never used a torque wrench to fit a pair of pedals.
Your above quoted statement is made up. Whether it's a bare faced lie or not - or whether you actually believe it or not is immaterial, the fact is that it's simply not true. Please stop repeating it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Then all I can say is I am extremely glad I do not have my bike serviced by that bunch of unprofessional people. You cannot guess the correct torque, experts know this which is why they use the correct tool.

You cannot tell the difference by hand of 4nm and 5nm but the difference is 20% more.

Here is an example of a true professional. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/torque-wrenches-why-you-need-one-and-how-to-use-them

Here is just a couple of lines I picked out.
A spec of 5Nm doesn't mean 'snug' and 15Nm doesn't translate as 'tight' and regardless of what you may believe, so-called 'mechanic's feel' can at best only provide a close approximation of reality. Even the most finely calibrated hands are still both imprecise and inconsistent, varying by the day, mood, and routine of their owner.

Tony Doyles mechanic, Bob Arnold at one time a school mate of mine, I got him into the Twickenham CC in 1971. He had many others.

Then all I can say is I am extremely glad I do not have my bike serviced by that bunch of unprofessional people. You cannot guess the correct torque, experts know this which is why they use the correct tool.

You cannot tell the difference by hand of 4nm and 5nm but the difference is 20% more.

Here is an example of a true professional. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/torque-wrenches-why-you-need-one-and-how-to-use-them

A spec of 5Nm doesn't mean 'snug' and 15Nm doesn't translate as 'tight' and regardless of what you may believe, so-called 'mechanic's feel' can at best only provide a close approximation of reality. Even the most finely calibrated hands are still both imprecise and inconsistent, varying by the day, mood, and routine of their owner.

Tony Doyles mechanic, Bob Arnold at one time a school mate of mine, I got him into the Twickenham CC in 1971. He had many others.
Thats all well and good but it doesnt change the fact that most experts - by which I mean people who work on bicycles for a living - do not use torque wrenches to fit pedals. Simple inarguable fact.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I think "20% more" for 5mm rather than 4mm says it all. Is that clean threads, lubricated and clean, a bit corroded - steel fastener into steel or alloy into carbon ? Sorry but I concurr with your other critic above.

Not tryingt to bait , but do you claim to be an expert yourself and or in the trade?

And how many torque wrenches does a bike mechanic need - given a lot of bike fasteners are not exaclty crucial, just to stop stuff falling off.

For the record, I'm merely a gentleman amateur, but i do understand what some of these numbers mean.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just read the link I posted, it explains why an expert would use a torque wrench.

I am not an expert in the cycle trade, I have been playing with nuts and bolts all my professional career and know that you cannot guess a torque measurement.

What is the most dangerous nut on a bike apart from the one riding it?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use a torque wrench on carbon components - stem bolts especially, but never have on pedals. Anyway wouldn't you need something like this with pedal spanner dimensions? Does a pedal spanner 'crowsfoot' attachment exist? It would need to be 'thinner' than a standard one - I have found reference to such a tool in connection with fitting Garmin Vector pedals, but posts suggest that it is rare as 'hens teeth'. I imagine most, if not all, bike workshops would not have such a tool. Of course if you want to use one (if you can find one) it's up to you, and if your pedals have hex sockets (eg Look Keos) you can use a hex head socket with your torque wrench. I basically agree with Mickle and others - it's just not necessary.
SnapOn1-1-8.jpg

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think I posted I don't use torque wrench for pedals -don't have the attachment. And I agree that the mechanics I've seen don't use them for pedals too. However, I will say (at least in the bike shop where I worked) torque wrenches were used for bottom brackets, seat post binders and stems (I think mostly motivated by carbon fibre parts).

I suppose this all comes down to how you define what is an expert -though personally I'd rather have a torque wrench used by a mechanic (expert or otherwise!) or myself for such parts. I think I also said that I've put on many pedals without a torque wrench without problem.

Thats all well and good but it doesnt change the fact that most experts - by which I mean people who work on bicycles for a living - do not use torque wrenches to fit pedals. Simple inarguable fact.

Top Bottom