Lon Las Cymru - Barmouth Bridge proposed closure!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Does the ferry still run ?
And if it does, where can I buy shares ?
I reckon we could up the price to £5 per person one way

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Signed!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Public access to the bridge is so strategic and integral to the Barmouth-Mawddach Estuary-Dolgellau economy, and beyond, that I can't see anything except structural/safety problems resulting in closure.

I don't believe, despite what it says, Gwynedd Council is genuinely considering actually closing the bridge - it will find the money from somewhere. Indeed, if Network Rail was intending to prevent public access, Gwynedd would no doubt be falling over itself to resist.

The Council is, though, probably trying to generate alternative or other contributory sources of funding for the annual charges by proposing to include Barmouth Bridge in this consultation.

Am not suggesting the petition is wasted effort, though!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I stumbled across this thread when looking for something else. I know the bridge didn't close because I cycled over it a couple of times since this thread was started...

Bridge from Barmouth.jpg

CAADX on Barmouth bridge.jpg

Anyway, I thought I would check what is happening now... interesting news update HERE.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Links says the petition is closed.

Edit: Just noticed.. 2015 thread!

D

Deleted member 26715

Links says the petition is closed.

Edit: Just noticed.. 2015 thread!

Me too, :laugh: I went on holiday to Wales this year specifically to ride over the bridge only to be there the same week that Eunice & the other one also decided to descend.

D

Deleted member 26715

Read my post!

Suppose they have a difficult decision, close the line in midsummer & infuriate the holiday makers or wait until autumn until the weather gets worse

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Suppose they have a difficult decision, close the line in midsummer & infuriate the holiday makers or wait until autumn until the weather gets worse

True, but my point really was that I didn't resurrect the thread blindly - I happened upon it and was curious to know what had happened about the bridge. Rather than starting a new thread on the subject, it made more sense to update this one, even though it is 7 years old!

D

Deleted member 26715

True, but my point really was that I didn't resurrect the thread blindly - I happened upon it and was curious to know what had happened about the bridge. Rather than starting a new thread on the subject, it made more sense to update this one, even though it is 7 years old!

I did :laugh::laugh: mine was a comment on what your post was about

Top Bottom