Lon Las Cymru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Migwan

Hi peeps,

I'm seriously considering doing the Lon Las Cymru in 2018 and was after as much info as possible?
I'm a roadie through and through and I would like to do it on my trusty steed! So my first question is- is it do-able on a road bike with 25mm tyres?
What route is the best one to follow?
Any information on this would be most appreciated
Thanks

Slick

Guru
I assume you've read this?

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/lon-las-cymru-holyhead-cardiff-chepstow

Looks like a good challenge.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Hi peeps,

I'm seriously considering doing the Lon Las Cymru in 2018 and was after as much info as possible?
I'm a roadie through and through and I would like to do it on my trusty steed! So my first question is- is it do-able on a road bike with 25mm tyres?
What route is the best one to follow?
Any information on this would be most appreciated
Thanks

I did it- quite a long time back- on an Airnimal folding road bike with 23 mm tyres. If you use the Sustrans maps best avoid sections which are indicated as may be rough and/or muddy (there are alternative routes marked). Most of the route is minor roads and is fine on a road bike. I ended up carrying my bike along one (thankfully short) muddy section.

OP
OP
M

Migwan

Search the forum if you haven't already done so, there are a few threads about it.

I have had a little peek around the forum but couldn't get the answers that I wanted. It seems to me most people ride it with a hybrid type bike. I want to know if it' possible on a road bike with skinnier tyres.

OP
OP
M

Migwan

I did it- quite a long time back- on an Airnimal folding road bike with 23 mm tyres. If you use the Sustrans maps best avoid sections which are indicated as may be rough and/or muddy (there are alternative routes marked). Most of the route is minor roads and is fine on a road bike. I ended up carrying my bike along one (thankfully short) muddy section.

Thanks palinurus. Was it an enjoyable experience?
The Sustrans maps are next on the things to get list!

videoman

Guru
Its also on my to do list for 2018 and I have found several trip reports for the route. I would finish in Chepstow as my sister lives in Lydney just north of Chepstow where I could recover for a few days after.

OP
OP
M

Migwan

Its also on my to do list for 2018 and I have found several trip reports for the route. I would finish in Chepstow as my sister lives in Lydney just north of Chepstow where I could recover for a few days after.

All the best in your adventure and if there's anything I'm able to share with you I will! I live in Cardiff so I will probably start up North. Out of curiosity what sort of bike are you going to use? I'm desperate to know what the route is like for a road bike as my plans are based on me using a 25mm tyre set up! Most posts I've read are people on a wider tyre. Any info would be most appreciated if you have any?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Thanks palinurus. Was it an enjoyable experience?
The Sustrans maps are next on the things to get list!

Yes- it's a good ride, the weather was pretty good when I did it which helps. I didn't do the bit in Anglesea because I rode that as part of another ride a year or two before.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It's a superb ride in either direction. I've done it, starting and finishing in Chepstow so can't comment on the Cardiff part.
A road bike on 25s will be fine. There's only one short part between Rhayader and Newbridge on Wye (about 400m) which might be tricky but I wouldn't divert round it, just walk if necessary.
I'd recommend the hills above Harlech and the section round Bird Rock but there are so many highlights. I've said before, I could do it every year and not get bored with it.
It's well signposted, but get the Sustrans maps, they'll be all you need.
Enjoy your ride! And post here with pics afterwards.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For goodness sake, before mountain bikes were invented I remember seeing people riding over rocky Lake District cols on steel bikes with skinny tyres. I do remember thinking they were a bit bonkers but it proves that anything is possible on standard road tyres.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unless the bike is made of glass and eggshells you'll be fine. Except for the bits where you won't and those are obvious. Just south of Llangurig iirc.

Top Bottom