Lon Las Cymru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
It is a great ride. I did it several years ago on a touring bike and would do it again in a heartbeat. It is well marked and with the Sustrans maps you will be fine. AS mentioned above there are a couple of bits that aren't suitable, but they are short and easily diverted around. the rest is a wonderful challenge and extremely scenic. If I were doing it again I would skip the Anglesey bit - it is not bad or anything, just nothing special, like pedalling through parts of Kent, and after the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia it seems a really dull anticlimax.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sort of want to do it again now (if I did I'd use my Surly Pacer, with 23 or 25 mm tyres, any fatter* is a squeeze under the 'guards despite the 'Fatties Fit Fine' logo on the chainstay)

*Maybe a 28 would be do-able, depending on tyre type.

hoopdriver

Guru
Sort of want to do it again now (if I did I'd use my Surly Pacer, with 23 or 25 mm tyres, any fatter* is a squeeze under the 'guards despite the 'Fatties Fit Fine' logo on the chainstay)

I'm considering a reprise myself - it is a fabulous ride

OP
OP
M

Migwan

Thanks for responses guys. I'm quite confident that my road bike will cope! Best I get to the drawing board and plan this trip.

OP
OP
M

Migwan

It's a superb ride in either direction. I've done it, starting and finishing in Chepstow so can't comment on the Cardiff part.
A road bike on 25s will be fine. There's only one short part between Rhayader and Newbridge on Wye (about 400m) which might be tricky but I wouldn't divert round it, just walk if necessary.
I'd recommend the hills above Harlech and the section round Bird Rock but there are so many highlights. I've said before, I could do it every year and not get bored with it.
It's well signposted, but get the Sustrans maps, they'll be all you need.
Enjoy your ride! And post here with pics afterwards.

Did you take much kit with you? A friend of mine said he was quite happy to be a support driver so I won' have to carry much on me! Probably going to stay in B&B's along the route.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Did you take much kit with you? A friend of mine said he was quite happy to be a support driver so I won' have to carry much on me! Probably going to stay in B&B's along the route.
I take a fair bit, I like to be comfortable and for me part of the fun is to be self sufficient. Bear in mind that regardless of when you go the weather can be changeable.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Sort of want to do some of it again, credit card touring style.

Top Bottom