England : London London Audaxes 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was having a read through this thread last night looking for some audaxes to enter and I didn't spot these two Steam Ride ones here which probably count as London:
200km - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-600/
100km - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-182/
I've known about audax for a while as there's a group in my club who are quite keen on them but until now I haven't really looked into it. I have my first one here in Leicestershire in about 2 weeks but I hope to ride some more when I'm back in London this summer. I don't know which ones I'll go for yet but I've put all this thread's mentions in my calendar so I can keep track of what's on.
I've added them to the OP.

marcusjb

The problem of London Audax. Doing the Great Escape earlier this month, the last few miles were pretty crap.

Yep - certainly a challenge. The morning is rarely a problem as we're up and out of the city before traffic is too hectic, but the return routes can be a real challenge for London events. There's nothing worse than having spent an enjoyable day out to then have to spend the last part of the ride trying to get through nose to tail cars.

Not an easy one to solve.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
indeed @marcusjb , for those of us that commute daily in that there London, it's less of an issue as we are used to the traffic. But those that don't experience a daily London commute it can make going very slow indeed.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
indeed @marcusjb , for those of us that commute daily in that there London, it's less of an issue as we are used to the traffic. But those that don't experience a daily London commute it can make going very slow indeed.

I noticed that on the Straight Outta Hackney 200 last year - I was riding alongside a chap from the Midlands as we arrived back in London, but I left him behind just because I was more used to riding through that kind of traffic.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I actually found the traffic speeded me up a bit on the Great Escape. I was pretty tired and had subsided into "grind-until-it's-over" mode but when I hit the traffic I got a shot of adrenalin and went into "I-might-die-any-minute" mode, and started putting a bit more effort in.

That said, there was quite a bit of filtering slowly down gridlocked streets too, which I'm blaming for the fact that I didn't make it round inside my target 10 hours.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi guys - do you need to be an Audax or club member to do any of these rides?
You don't need to be a member of AUK. Just go to aukweb.net and click the link to register for the ride. There's a box you can tick for 1day temporary membership which costs £1 or something nominal like that. The ride fees are normally a tenner or so. There's an insurance quirk/complication if you are not UK resident.

philk56

Guru
You don't need to be a member of AUK. Just go to aukweb.net and click the link to register for the ride. There's a box you can tick for 1day temporary membership which costs £1 or something nominal like that. The ride fees are normally a tenner or so. There's an insurance quirk/complication if you are not UK resident.

Great thanks. I am a ctc member so would assume that covers the insurance side of things

tatr

An audax entry fee + 5 years of AUK membership is less than many sportives, the cake is better, and pub stops are allowed.

An audax entry fee + 5 years of AUK membership is less than many sportives, the cake is better, and pub stops are allowed.
Slight exaggeration. Probably true for 2 sportives vs 2 audax.

Ditchling Devil could not be duplicated for less as a diy. #15 for doughnuts at start, morning tea, BBQ lunch and all the tea and cake you can eat (for some riders, that is a lot) for afternoon tea

Top Bottom