England : London London Audaxes 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The problem for me with 200k Audaxes is the difficulty of getting to the start early enough without having to faff around with the car (and then faff around getting home again). There are the two that I did last year that were convenient and a lot of fun.

(Warning. This post has been edited multiple times and the events are not in date order, they are in the order that I have added them)

The Great Escape Sunday 15 May
200km Starts from Look Mum No Hands in the City. A very flat route. Super flapjacks at one of the controls when I was flagging and a nice cafe to start/finish. Thread here

The London Ditchling Devil Sunday 5th June
205km Starts from Richmond. Ace catering at controls, really, really beyond the call of duty. Not flat. ;)

There's one other that I can see.

The Shark Saturday 9th April
202km Starts from Greenwich. Unfortunately I can't make this one, but it looks really convenient. Seriously unflat!

And there are more!

The Italian Job Sunday 12 June 2016
107km From Finsbury Park. Thread here

Straight Outta Hackney Saturday 23rd July 2016
200km From Harringay

London Oxford London Sunday 13th March 2016
200km From Ruislip Lido

And yet more

Cogidubnus CC (Cheese and cake double century) Saturday 6th August 2016
208km from Richmond-upon-Thames (also accompanying 110k event)

And that's not all

Suburban Breakout Sunday 10th July 2016
103km from East Finchley

And yet another ... further out this time

Rowlands RAAAmble Sunday 11th September 2016
215km from Surbiton. And as suggested by the nAAAme it's a bit lumpy with 2700m climb.

Later in the year ...

The London Sightseer Sunday4th September 2016
100km Starts in Hampton Hill (Richmond W London)
See all the major sights and some fascinating lesser known parts of one of the world's great cities. Using mainly cycle routes, cycle paths and river paths you will see see London at its quieter weekend pace

Greenwich Mean Climb Saturday 17th September 2016
302km
A challenging ride out of South London and through the quiet lanes of the Downs and Weald. Featuring not one but two trips to the seaside and around 4500m of climbing.

Yikes!

And couple from Ruislip, which is just inside the M25 in the North West corner.

Steam Ride: Chinnor Scenic Saturday 3rd September 2016
100km
A scenic tour from Ruislip Lido to Chinnor-for-dinner at the Village Center thru delightful Burnham Beeches and return via Chequers in the Chilterns

Steam Ride:London-Oxford-London (LOL) The Ghan reversed Saturday 3rd September 2016
200km
All aboard the Ghan for the LOL Steam ride to Oxford via Waddesdon Park and visit the South East's Steam railway locations in a day. Optional 'Olde rd Centre Adventure'.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll sign up for the Great Escape again, even though proper Audaxy food/drink and hospitality is lacking at the start and finish. Plus they didn't send my Brevet card back last year.

The Ditchling Devil, yup, may give that one a go. All the reports I have seen is that there is great Audaxy food/drink and hospitality.

The Shark... Is on a Saturday so may have to forgo that one due to Jnr's footy training.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll sign up for the Great Escape again, even though proper Audaxy food/drink and hospitality is lacking at the start and finish. Plus they didn't send my Brevet card back last year.

The Ditchling Devil, yup, may give that one a go. All the reports I have seen is that there is great Audaxy food/drink and hospitality.

The Shark... Is on a Saturday so may have to forgo that one due to Jnr's footy training.
Wasn't it the Great Escape where we couldn't get any food at one of the controls either due to the length of the queue? We ended up in a cafe in a village down the road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wasn't it the Great Escape where we couldn't get any food at one of the controls either due to the length of the queue? We ended up in a cafe in a village down the road.

Yep. I think it was the Blue Egg. We ate at the lovely cafe in Finchingfield instead.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nah, looks about right.
It's only about 12 miles from Greenwich to Biggin Hill.
It's 13 miles from my house to where the road goes past the end of the runway. I may not go the shortest route though.

Now do I re-join Audax UK for the year?

tatr

Cheers!

I've signed up for all of these plus London-Oxford-London which is also 200km http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-599/ and Straight Outta Hackney 200km http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-349/

My "Audax By Train from London" spreadsheet might be useful but it is a bit out of date - any offers of help maintaining it gratefully received:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZCRrQ-RRi7EfCHe54PjhbErn-zgFZZam12rGeOgMmx0/edit#gid=0

mmmmartin

Random geezer
do I re-join Audax UK for the year?
For one ride? Nah. If you're in the CTC you have the necessary insurance so don't need to pay the extra "non-Auk" two or three quid. On the other hand, the five-years-for-four-years-subs is a good deal cos you don't have to remember to renew at the end of the year. And you get a magazine full of 5,000 word articles about bike rides.
Beware The Shark - not only is it long and very hilly but I'll be serving tea at the Chiddingly control.

martint235

Dog on a bike
For one ride? Nah. If you're in the CTC you have the necessary insurance so don't need to pay the extra "non-Auk" two or three quid. On the other hand, the five-years-for-four-years-subs is a good deal cos you don't have to remember to renew at the end of the year. And you get a magazine full of 5,000 word articles about bike rides.
Beware The Shark - not only is it long and very hilly but I'll be serving tea at the Chiddingly control.
It wouldn't be for just the one ride. I'm hoping to do a few 200kms this year. I did two last year thereby losing my right to say "I've only done one Audax......"

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks @redfalo

Pleased with the route, nice lanes, some nasty climbs (and some nice gentle ones!). Best bits of Surrey and South Downs.

There's an accompanying 110km Brevet Populaire, The Cheesy Peas 110, details here: www.marcusjb.com/cogidubnus-200#cheesy-peas - starting from Richmond and heading through the Surrey Hills to the cheese on toast emporium and back.
It's in my diary. The big one looks quite challenging, but no fear, I'm sure I will be super-fit by then.

Top Bottom