England : East Sussex London - Brighton veteran car run, Sunday 1 November 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fawg-tastic here in Horsham.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, riding north to Brixton (en route to a constitutional around Regents Park) was an eye-opener. I'd not realised that the rate of attrition was so very high. Half a dozen old crocks had pulled, or been pulled off the road on Brixton Hill, which, despite the name, is no kind of a hill at all. A couple had pulled off at Kennington - one had caught alight!

Still a wonder to behold, though...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The commentator at Crawley told the jolly tale of his spirit fired steam powered car catching fire on a run in the 80's so they drove it into a...

...petrol station

rb58

Enigma
That was great. Really great. Good to see so many familiar faces (even if some only briefly @GrumpyGregry), just sorry I couldn't go all the way to Brighton with you all. Although it was foggy all day, @Trickedem and I had a fabulous ten minutes in glorious sunshine when we came over the Greensand Ridge on the return leg. Like a summer's day. But we lost @topcat1 somewhere between Redhill and Crawley!

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I was caught at some lights as you entered Crawley then you'll disappeared in the fog, so went to plan B take some pics and follow the cars. Then joined Fab for the rest of the ride :okay:

swansonj

Guru
The commentator at Crawley told the jolly tale of his spirit fired steam powered car catching fire on a run in the 80's so they drove it into a...

...petrol station
Reminds me of a wet FNRttC to Brighton. At a regroup stop it was raining, so the smoking contingent looked for some shelter ... and found some under the canopy of a petrol forecourt.

Only on a Friday at several equally glorious levels.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Went along the coast, most of the CC contingent arrived on Madeira Drive just as I was heading west. Odd how Brighton was the one pocket of sunshine, but fitting!

frank9755

Cyclist
That was a rather fabulous day out. The nearest I've been to time travel. It's quite special when you get out in the country and there are only 100-year old cars, and the odd penny-farthing in sight.

Selected highlights would include:
- the atmosphere of the event: lots of slightly eccentric people with a fun hobby taking over the roads for a few hours
- the next best thing to closed roads with lots of other people who don't pay road tax slowing down all the modern cars
- chatting to the drivers and passengers as we travelled along at similar speeds. And riding with the guy on the ordinary.
- drafting behind the faster ones, especially on the A23 - great fun, although a bit smelly.
- succesfully negotiating the roundabout near Pease Pottage where @zigzag and I both came off in the wet a few years ago and lost a bit of hip and elbow skin - I think I've got my line on that one sorted now.
- catching up with the CC/Fridays people
- the cars - both the ones in the event and the other camp followers like the 60s Ford Capri

I can confirm that, going back north, there was fog - all the way from Devils Dike to home.

Thanks to @User for organising, in a manner that was laid-back to the point of denial. And to everyone else for making it a lovely little adventure.

Tim Hall

I helped push one of the motorised trikes, ridden by a woman called Rosie. Her mechanic, who was about my age, I'm sure, and riding a motorbike must need his eyes tested: "Thank you young man", he said, without any hint of sarcasm.

Top Bottom