London City Police Clamping Down on RLJs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
coruskate said:
How many drivers have ever been done for stopping in an ASL? Anywhere?

I can't lay my hands on current figures, but ISTR the last time the issue came up, the exact number was a big fat 0

Funnily enough, I think the CoL police are the only force who enfoce ASLs! TFL did talk about cameras at junctions and FPNs - but that was a lot of hot air AFAIK...

skrx

parnes said:
The City Of London is the most dangerous place to cycle in England, and CoL cops spunk their resources on this, a waste of time.

Really? There aren't many large roads, there are lots of alternative routes (back streets), there aren't many lorries... is it really the most dangerous?

(Granted, I've only ever cycled through it in the late evening or at the weekend when it's deserted, but there must be worse places...)

parnes

The City Police have been encouraging the public to complete ward policing surveys on-line and on paper: citypolicesurvey.jpg
Leading question? It's rather telling that the police put cycling down as the first box to tick.

sebsbike.jpg

Following complaints from friends, City Police removed the remains of a courier's bike which they had been using to highlight the dangers of jumping red lights at a road safety display.

Seb far from jumping the lights had been waiting for green when he was crushed by a lorry which had turned without checking its mirrors.

A typical example of the City Police ignoring the facts to justify their own simple prejudices.

parnes

The City Police regarded the twisted frame, which was crushed under the wheels of Terence Fallow’s tipper truck with Seb, as a suitable tool for the ‘re-education’ of cyclists.

This despite the fact that Seb was breaking no laws at the time of the collision.

In fact, it has been argued that if Seb had not stopped behind the stop line, or simply had run the light, he would still be alive today.

http://www.citycyclists.org.uk/

Andy 71

I saw a numpty stopped by the rozzers at Cannon St last night. The cyclist was going through the 'Yeah but, no but' routine as the officer took out his charge book. Bought a smile to my face. No sympathy whatsoever.

It's about time something was done - some cyclists think they can do as they damn well please which has turned us into hate figures in the eyes of many. We are never going to get the respect we deserve as equal road users while people continue to behave like that.

I too get annoyed about encroaching in ASLs and parking in cycle lanes, but I would argue that is irrelevant to the fact (two wrongs don't make a right), and think there's a difference between annoying and downright dangerous.

Yeah, RLJ'ing might save you a couple of minutes, but you're setting back the cause of cyclists by years.

parnes

Anyone who gives lip to a copper deserves all they get. My policy is, be polite and get rid of them as soon as you can.

But CoL cops are applying the law in a partisan way, and putting cyclists at the top of a list of anti-social behaviour? Above drunkeness?

Nice.

amnezia

parnes said:
Not really:

Figures released by Transport for London yesterday, covering the years 2001-05, show that a pedestrian in London is over 100 times more likely to be injured in collision with a motor vehicle than a cycle.
blah blah blah....

that doesn't mean that hitting a pedestrian with a bike is not dangerous it just means its less likely to happen

ChrisKH

Guru
parnes said:
Soft policing.

Box ticking.

Yes, numpties on bikes who RLJ are annoying and suicidal.

Drivers who RLJ are homicidal.

How many drivers this week will get a fine for encroaching an ASL?

Parking in a mandatory cycle lane?

Get a FPN for using a mobile?

The City Of London is the most dangerous place to cycle in England, and CoL cops spunk their resources on this, a waste of time.

Nothing dangerous, particularly, about cycling in the City. I would say you were at greater risk in the 'burbs personally.

Origamist said:
Well it's lucky you don't RLJ, otherwise you'd be nicked!

Eh?

Im talking about police nicking mobile phone users.

Yes i'd probably be nicked if I did it but I don't see much evidence of plod doing it when they actually have a cyclist do it in full view and that applies to mobile phone users as well.

parnes

ChrisKH said:
Nothing dangerous, particularly, about cycling in the City. I would say you were at greater risk in the 'burbs personally.

The report says the most dangerous place for cyclists and pedestrians is London. Seventeen pedestrians per 100,000 people are killed in the capital, compared with a national average of 11.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/08/cycle-accidents-road-deaths-rise

I'm sure I read that The City has a terrible record, especially the bridges.

Jake

couriors around soho are the worst. you just dont hear or see them coming as you cross the road. Especialy if you on the phone, iPod etc, tourists prob get more hits/near misses then locals.

Tynan

Veteran
seen cops stopping people around Aldgate this week, it's all been cars

how do you crushed by a left turning lorry while waiting at a red light, this why the stop line is so far back from the junction itself

surely the courier must have been moving through the junction when the truck hit him, not waiting at the stop line

parnes

Tynan said:
seen cops stopping people around Aldgate this week, it's all been cars

how do you crushed by a left turning lorry while waiting at a red light, this why the stop line is so far back from the junction itself

surely the courier must have been moving through the junction when the truck hit him, not waiting at the stop line

On Monday 23rd February 9.30am, it will be exactly 5 years since London cycle courier Sebastian Lukomski was killed by a collision with a lorry. The collision was the result of the lorry driver failing to see Seb on his left as he turned from Upper Thames Street in to Queen Street Place. The driver pleaded guilty to careless driving, and was fined and had his licence endorsed.

22nd November, City of London Magistrates Court
Terence Mark Fallows, driver of the HGV that killed London bicycle messenger and LBMA member Sebastian Lukomski, today [Nov. 22, 2004] pleaded guilty of driving without due care & attention. He received a sentence of 6 endorsement points on his driving license. A total of 12 points results in disqualification. In addition, he was fined £1000 and ordered to pay £230 costs. -Buffalo Bill

Top Bottom