London City Police Clamping Down on RLJs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
hackbike 666 said:
Eh?

Im talking about police nicking mobile phone users.

Yes i'd probably be nicked if I did it but I don't see much evidence of plod doing it when they actually have a cyclist do it in full view and that applies to mobile phone users as well.

The CoL were targeting this behaviour (mobiles and RLJs) - your average Joe Plod is not going to do much.

skwerl

parnes said:
The City Police have been encouraging the public to complete ward policing surveys on-line and on paper: citypolicesurvey.jpg
Leading question? It's rather telling that the police put cycling down as the first box to tick.

Ok so list them alphabetically and it moves to second place. Now you get Shelter complaining that beggars are being unfairly placed at the top of the list.

This bleating about police wasting their time on seemingly petty offences is just the same as the standard "why aren't you out catching real criminals like murderers, etc." argument.

Policing crime isn't a simple matter of choosing those that have the biggest immediate impact. It's far more complex. There's strong support for the theory that clamping down on petty crime prevents graduation into more serious offences - something I agree with. Simple child psychology demonstrates this nicely.

Jim_Noir

Why is there no box for those erseholes in soho that stop you every few feet to ask you again and again if you want to buy smack!

skwerl

Jim_Noir said:
Why is there no box for those erseholes in soho that stop you every few feet to ask you again and again if you want to buy smack!

Well, Soho's not in CoL I s'pose.
there should be a box for the 'Blackberry-obsessed peanut not looking whilst stepping into road then bitching at cyclist who nearly flattens them'

Origamist

Legendary Member
skwerl said:
Ok so list them alphabetically and it moves to second place. Now you get Shelter complaining that beggars are being unfairly placed at the top of the list.

It's not so much that it's at the top of the list, but the fact that "dangerous" precedes cyclists...

Origamist said:
The CoL were targeting this behaviour (mobiles and RLJs) - your average Joe Plod is not going to do much.

No it doesn't seem like it.xx(

CotterPin

Origamist said:
That's how "skateboarders" are listed. Do you not think it is a leading question? Why not "aggressive" begging etc ?

Playing devil's advocate, could it be that the CoL police wanted to focus on the specific aspect of dangerous cycling as opposed to cycling which is a perfectly legitimate activity?

Like most police forces they respond to the concerns of the people who make the most noise. Quite frequently a lot of noise is made about dangerous cycling which is probably why they included it.

The solution is for cyclists to make loads of noise about some of the illegal behaviour of other road users. We have begun to do this with some success in Islington - recently we attended a couple of stop and advise sessions with the local police at a set of traffic lights on the Holloway Road to target motor cyclists in ASLs.

Sprocket Dog

parnes said:
But CoL cops are applying the law in a partisan way, and putting cyclists at the top of a list of anti-social behaviour? Above drunkeness?
IMHO, the CoL police are right to put dangerous cyclists above drunkeness. Drunkeness is only really a problem on Thursdays and Fridays in the CoL whereas dangerous cyclists are present 5 days out of 7. Also consider that drunk people usually only come out after hours.All IMHO of course.xx(

parnes

I'd be interested in seeing stats that showed more injuries are caused by cyclists than drunks in the CoL.

Clue: There aren't any.

The absurdity of the police stance is that, statistically, you have more chance of being killed by a police car than a cyclist.

It's lazy, unhelpful , misdirected policing.

Probably not true.You probably have more chance being run over by a cyclist.

Anyway with all these figures it seems like you are trying to justify that RLJing is ok.

IMHO.

Sprocket Dog

parnes said:
I'd be interested in seeing stats that showed more injuries are caused by cyclists than drunks in the CoL.Clue: There aren't any.
So we can't prove one way or another and it comes down to humble opinions based on personal experiences.[quote name='parnes]The absurdity of the police stance is that, statistically, you have more chance of being killed by a police car than a cyclist.[/quote]That's not exactly a like-for-like comparison, is it?[quote="parnes"]It's lazy' date=' unhelpful , misdirected policing.[/quote']How is it lazy? The cops are being proactive.Unhelpful? I doubt the vastly more numerous pedestrians feel that way.Misdirected? Possibly, but 'they' can't please everyone all of the time.xx(

parnes

hackbike 666 said:
Probably not true.You probably have more chance being run over by a cyclist.

Anyway with all these figures it seems like you are trying to justify that RLJing is ok.

IMHO.

1/

I've already said RLJing cyclists are numpties

2/

People that die as the result of collision between a cyclist and a
pedestrian annually is in the UK is 1 or less:

From a written answer to a question to the Secretary of State for
Transport, 16 March 2005.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmhansrd/vo050316/t...

Pedestrian killed by police car

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7709637.stm

The elderly pedestrian hit and killed by a police car in the Ridgeway,
Chingford, is identified as Brian Elton

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/4450244.CHINGFORD__Pensioner_ki...

A pedestrian has been killed when he was hit by a marked police car
responding to an incident in a part of South Yorkshire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7931036.stm

The number of pedestrians and motorists killed during police chases
has risen fivefold in four years, and many of the the deaths could
have been avoided because the pursuits were unnecessary, a highly
critical report by the Police Complaints Authority said yesterday.

The number of pedestrians and motorists killed during police chases
has risen fivefold in four years, and many of the the deaths could
have been avoided because the pursuits were unnecessary, a highly
critical report by the Police Complaints Authority said yesterday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pedestrians-killed-in-...

There were 44 deaths involving police pursuits in the year to March

Top Bottom