London commuter cyclists wanted for TV programme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

STV1

Do you have a long and hazardous cycle into work every day?

STV are making a documentary about commuting and would like to feature a cyclist in London who battles against the congestion on a long and hazardous commute.

If interested please e-mail: will.steel@stv.tv

sheddy

Legendary Member
Here we go again. Will participants get a say in the final edit ?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
[QUOTE 3055250, member: 45"]Do cyclists have to battle congestion?[/QUOTE]

When I do, I swear by Otrivine.

I stand beside it and tell it to "P*** off!"

:whistle:

sight-pin

Veteran
Is that a genuine link? Not that i'd partake, i don't even commute.
I'm always cautious now about giving any personal details out on line like that, especially with a link named "will steel" ,It makes me think of 'steal' :laugh:. Or is it me being just over cautious?:unsure:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is that a genuine link? Not that i'd partake, i don't even commute.
I'm always cautious now about giving any personal details out on line like that, especially with a link named "will steel" ,It makes me think of 'steal' :laugh:. Or is it me being just over cautious?:unsure:

It's the link that SOME web cammers dream of.

Leaway2

Lycrist
hazardous? :rolleyes:
For instance - across Salisbury plain during testing :ph34r:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3055649, member: 1314"]I've volunteered to do it - and sent them the following image of myself... wonder if they'll take me up on the offer. Btw I told them my name's Gary H. Core, that I cycle into Vauxhall everyday from Basingstoke, and that I'm a scaffolder at the MI6 building. I think I've covered all the angles.

View attachment 43764 [/QUOTE]

You forgot to say 'Innit' and mention the white middle class.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE 3055649, member: 1314"]I've volunteered to do it - and sent them the following image of myself... wonder if they'll take me up on the offer. Btw I told them my name's Gary H. Core, that I cycle into Vauxhall everyday from Basingstoke, and that I'm a scaffolder at the MI6 building. I think I've covered all the angles.

View attachment 43764 [/QUOTE]
No hi viz, no helmet, no gloves! You must be H. Core!
anyway that can't be you, the saddle's too high for a start.

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3055250, member: 45"]Do cyclists have to battle congestion?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we go past congestion - we battle numpties, pot holes and road layouts. Seems a basic lack of understanding, or possibly weasel words?

I think TV companies have a battle now for the good faith of participants ever since Benefits Street. I have friends who have been stung in the past too, with footage shown in a different order from what actually occurred and thus completely changing events. This guy might be simply lovely but we have no way of knowing.

I'm not a town commuter but I would only participate in this if a real cycling person was making the programme, not just someone who thought it was a great idea for controversial footage and therefore column inches. Give Prof Dave a show....

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3057083, member: 1314"]I find the phrase “battle congestion” a loaded one. It suggests there’s danger, conflict and difficulty when, in fact, cycling in central London is safe, calming and easy (once one is aware of the few rules about cycling etiquette and proficiency). In fact I would argue that the busier and narrower roads in central London actually slow the traffic and make it even easier for the cyclist. In the ‘burbs where traffic can move faster, and where there is less congestion I’d say it’s actually less safe. Similarly on those roads in central London where the traffic can move relatively smoothly and quickly, such as at Vauxhall Cross, cycling is also less safe.

The premise of the request as it stands is to show how ‘brave’ one has to be to cycle into London and will therefore put off a lot of newbies, unsure and more timid.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The words "ten", "foot" and "pole" come to mind.

Ganymede

Veteran
Is STV1 coming back to look at our posts, or give more info, or reply in any way? I would be genuinely interested to hear from him.

Top Bottom