London Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
anyuser said:
@Origamist

What handlebar and brake lever setup do you have on there? Looks like the brake levers are ideally placed for a setup I would like.

They're bull horn bars (Profile oversized) with cane creek tt levers.

potsy said:
That's not the impression I get when hackers is on here:biggrin:

I was going to say :laugh:

But tonights commute back was full of incident and no cam due to the possibility of rain.:rain:

Funny thing is while I got a bit cheesed off I sort of enjoyed it.:shy:

Return incidents:

London Bridge...Bus cut in to get to bus stop.
London Bridge...Bus signaling right in the left hand turn lane.Eventually turned left.Didn't look like he was concentrating at the lights.
Aldwych...Bus signaling right when he was going left...I was on his left hand side and realised something was wrong...Road positioning indicated going left instead of right.
Mile End...Stopped at ped lights and some clown on a bike jumped them missing my elbow by about an inch.
Leyton...Ped stepped off pavement in front of me.
Leyton...Car driver obviously not concentrating as we both went left due to the fact he was shouting out of the window to his boyfriend.

BigSteev

Origamist said:
It's a Charge Plug - my heavy-duty commuting rig (but there's not many original parts left on it). I run it fixed: 44/15 or 44/16.

That sounds like a familiar set-up.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jonny jeez said:
and the HD pro does a really good job, I am pretty much decided that that is my next cam as it suits all my needs(Cycling, Skiing, Driving) and seems to offer a much more realistic view than the Contour (with its exposure setting stuff)...sorry Gaz

You *shakes fist*.

Haha only joking, as matt said each have their pros and cons and for me the contour was the choice. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 1080p.

OP
OP
Stephen-D

Stephen-D

hackbike 666 said:
I was going to say :biggrin:

But tonights commute back was full of incident and no cam due to the possibility of rain.:tongue:

Funny thing is while I got a bit cheesed off I sort of enjoyed it.:smile:

Return incidents:

London Bridge...Bus cut in to get to bus stop.
London Bridge...Bus signaling right in the left hand turn lane.Eventually turned left.Didn't look like he was concentrating at the lights.
Aldwych...Bus signaling right when he was going left...I was on his left hand side and realised something was wrong...Road positioning indicated going left instead of right.
Mile End...Stopped at ped lights and some clown on a bike jumped them missing my elbow by about an inch.
Leyton...Ped stepped off pavement in front of me.
Leyton...Car driver obviously not concentrating as we both went left due to the fact he was shouting out of the window to his boyfriend.

LOL so this is the real truth, your all a bunch of nutters but you love it :tongue:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the GoPro HD. There are some good mounting options (helmet, chest, roll bar, handlebar, head etc), and the new firmware update should iron out a few of the niggles. If you want a test with mine, let me know.

If you can, get it from the US. I paid £200, but was lucky to have a mate bring it back.

Thanks Origamist, I'm pretty happy with what i've seen so far and the mounting options seem perfect for all the uses I would have. The only real dislike I have always had is the look of the thing. When mounted on your head, it looks really daft. (part of the reason I have been trialing a mount on my bars with the muvi)

gaz said:
You *shakes fist*.

Haha only joking, as matt said each have their pros and cons and for me the contour was the choice. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 1080p.

Ha, see above, the contour is a "better" looking cam for head mounting especially on the ski slope where it seems to be the weapon of choice (as far as I noticed)

hmm, My avatar may have something in the wardrobe for just this occasion

Origamist

Legendary Member
jonny jeez said:
Thanks Origamist, I'm pretty happy with what i've seen so far and the mounting options seem perfect for all the uses I would have. The only real dislike I have always had is the look of the thing. When mounted on your head, it looks really daft. (part of the reason I have been trialing a mount on my bars with the muvi)

Yes, it looks geeky and v obvious when attached to a helmet. I did think about getting the head mount and strapping this around the helmet (i.e. avoiding the helmet mount). This would mean the cam was at the front of the helmet (where the visor is) and it would not be so intrusive. It might make the helmet front heavy though. I might experiment later in the the summer.

I'm going for the chest mount next as the footage shot from that perspective is great for MTBing.

skrx

Stephen-D said:
was in London for about 20 minutes when i saw about 4 near hits with Cycles v's Buses, Cars, Pedestrians and a dog, how the hell do you guys cope with the crazyness of London??

In many cases there are alternative, quieter but perhaps slightly slower routes than the busy roads. (Exceptions being most bridges, which usually don't have alternatives.)

But it's just what you're used to. I'm used to being around cars that struggle to get above 30mph, and looking everywhere for people stepping out, other vehicles/bikes etc. I don't know how other cyclists manage on a road with cars going past at 50-60mph! (I tried it once in Surrey, and hated it.)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
skrx said:
But it's just what you're used to. I'm used to being around cars that struggle to get above 30mph, and looking everywhere for people stepping out, other vehicles/bikes etc. I don't know how other cyclists manage on a road with cars going past at 50-60mph! (I tried it once in Surrey, and hated it.)

+1. London's fine, 'cos no-one's going that fast. It's a bit jumbled, but you get used to that. I only get spooked when I'm out of town and people pass me close at speed.

swee said:
Eh? I bet they will be going fast...when I start on this mornings commute in about 40 minutes.There is always something...Some place cordoned off and a diversion somewhere due to an incident.It's a nailed on certainty as im using the fixie today. is not unusual and there is bound to be some moton in a car who is pissed or asleep or something.Not all of us do 9-5 M-F commutes all the time.

Saturday morning commute at this time is always fun.

not a bad commute,just the normal saturday morning close passes and glass everywhere.i went through a ton of it and in trying to wipe glass off of my front tyre i suddenly 'forgot' i was riding fixed.oops.

Tynan

Veteran
true

I did double day shift once and you got some very interesting drivers/cards around early in the morning, before the cops are about

Top Bottom