London Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evilcat

I get both sorts: an early morning commute (6am) through the centre of town (Kensington High St, Picaddilly, Clerkenwell Road) which has very little traffic usually, but yes, a few idiots who think they can get away with driving badly that early. The morning commute normally takes aroun 40mins.

Coming home at 6pm is much slower and I reckon much worse: loads of traffic, pedestrians wearning iPods or on phones who step out without looking, red-ligh-jumping cyclists/motorists and plenty of buzzy scooters and loud motorbikes. Normally it takes me just under an hour although I do go right along the Euston Road from Kings X to Paddington. I did manage two brief bursts of 25mph last night, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Best/worst of both worlds! My usual weekend training route is on some fast A roads and if I haven't been out for a while the first 60mph pass does send the nerves a-jangling.

EC

laertes

I cycle into central London from Kingston. I add about a mile to my route to stick to back roads and paths and parks and riverside, and only do about 2 miles on busy roads, and even there most of it is on a wide bus lane where I hardly ever see a bus. Biggest problems are pedestrians around Waterloo.

skrx

I came home at 3:30 on Sunday (from a nightclub, I work 10-6 M-F), from Islington across central London to "SW London". I really like taking the backstreets at that time of night -- quiet, all the lights changing for me, early dawn light. It's perhaps a few minutes slower than taking the main roads, but its easier, and I'm not in a rush.

Top Bottom