London crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pretentious speak for gravy, I believe.
Another problem worth noting is that jus, like gravy, dribbles off the roofing slate that serves as a plate..

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, as the saying goes.
I have! From Raffles Hotel in Singapore, to Gleneagles in Scotland, with a few upmarket pretenstaurants in Dubai and USA too. I'll agree with you that the food is good - but not my "thing". I just don't find all the poshness conducive to a nice relaxing experience, and it actually winds me up that people are throwing so much money at a single meal while people not too far away are starving (and I don't normally have much of a social conscience about such matters). Any time I've been to these places it's only because I've been in slightly more upmarket company; I would normally give them a wide berth.
However, as always, each to their own. :cheers:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s going to attract the people it’s aimed at. Which is young professionals looking for an experience.

Not for me thanks, but I can’t worry about other people enjoying themselves.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've not been in a French restaurant where they advertise their amuse bouche. They just turn up, unexpectedly, little surprises between the courses. Also, no-one interrupts your food or your conversation to ask whether everything is alright.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Raffles Hotel in Singapore, to Gleneagles in Scotland, with a few upmarket pretenstaurants in Dubai and USA too
Have to say none of those appeals at all, but I did once go on a works Christmas do to Bibendum in London (which, googling has just revealed, has a set menu for £115 a head - and that's not including Tizer), and it was wonderful. Almost more than the food I remember the service, which was perfect: genuinely friendly without being in any way nauseating, highly efficient, and almost supernaturally attentive - never any hint of intrusion, much less fishing for compliments, essentially invisible the vast majority of the time, and yet whenever you felt you might like something, someone was just suddenly, inexplicably, there to provide it. So yes, not really my thing, but I do get it. (Unlike the OP, which does sound like pretentious nonsense for yuppies with more money than taste.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
As a northerner enticed to London many many moons ago, and still in love with so much of it, I really shouldn't do this.

And it will of course play into the hands of some, but on seeing this plugged in the often bonkers too cool by half Londonist I really can't help it.

https://www.terramundoexp.com/?utm_...um=email&utm_campaign=londonistemail&utm_ad=1

I get out to lots of stuff in London, including academic stuff at times, so am well used to some of the outer fringes. And I get emailed some right old stuff.

Anyone get any more examples?

That food to me looks rather like nouvelle plus sound and vision.

Folk might need a bag of chips on the way home.

Richly ironic that their "forest starter" is a beef and tobacco tartare.... the two crops that are as responsible as palm plantations for destruction of forests.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The only times we were at posh eateries was in the days when in company and it was all on expenses.
( Did I ever tell you about the time we had dinner with the Duke of Edinburgh? )

Top Bottom