London crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
To slightly amend Lord Chesterfield's remark on sexual congress..The portions are ridiculous, the pleasure momentary and the expense damnable.
I've realized as I totter into geriatric status that when I was young I had to make do with simple cheap food as I had no money. Now, I have to eat less, even, of simple cheap food, because I have the metabolism of a sloth and many things just aren't good for me. This means my gustation is limited in a place where an important consideration in picking a restaurant is how much you get, and specifically how much is meat. A hamburger with two 8 oz patties followed with a pile of French fries as big as your head? Oh, best leave room for the chocolate thunder brownie a la mode. Yum yum.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To slightly amend Lord Chesterfield's remark on sexual congress..The portions are ridiculous, the pleasure momentary and the expense damnable.
I've realized as I totter into geriatric status that when I was young I had to make do with simple cheap food as I had no money. Now, I have to eat less, even, of simple cheap food, because I have the metabolism of a sloth and many things just aren't good for me. This means my gustation is limited in a place where an important consideration in picking a restaurant is how much you get, and specifically how much is meat. A hamburger with two 8 oz patties followed with a pile of French fries as big as your head? Oh, best leave room for the chocolate thunder brownie a la mode. Yum yum.
Not to mention tum tum. :whistle:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A few years ago I went to a Michelin starred restaurant.

It had jus all over the menu, amuse bouches galore, wines paired to each course, sounded as pretentious as could be and was eye wateringly expensive.

You know what? It was absolutely fantastic.

The food was amazing, the wine was incredibly good and ‘worked’ with each course and the service was astonishingly good.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, as the saying goes.
I have actually eaten in lots of posh places in the past - though not usually at my expense - but wouldn't normally dream of paying for it myself. I think you are though missing the to me sheer bullshit ponciness of the audio visual "pairing" - maybe you were short changed and didn't eat to carefully chosen sound effects of waves breaking on pebbly beaches, animals screaming, volcanoes belching. Nor had the tastebud enhancing pleasure of the wallpaper moving.

It all reminds me of Soylent Green.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQNjJZFdLU

In truth I didn't really intend the thread to be just about food - I rather thought some other folk might have some other examples of what, to me, are London barminess/desperate seeking of novelty.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you have £95 to spend on a very small meal then go for it... who's to judge?

I'd meet our "Curry Club" and give £60 to Crisis.

Top Bottom