London: Embankment cycle superhighway gets approval

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Boris has already caved in and cut the width of the E-W route from 4m to 3m. How much more will the black cabs demand to be cut? Will it end up any wider than the over-congested Torrington Place veloduct?

How many black cabs compared to cycles in central London these days? I'm not a Londoner (only a visitor) so I'm not sure where to get the latest stats.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just watching this on the news . One cabbie said it will have an impact on " everything " I'm not sure he has really thought about that comment .

B8dV3b8IEAAG7KA.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...way-may-inspire-similar-schemes-across-the-uk

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have lived and worked in London all my life and my work means I need to transport my tools and materials with a van . Usually a rather large van . Since the congestion charge was introduced I have been into the zone with my van once and still managed to earn a living . My last job was only 14 miles ( from memory ) away and it took me two hours to drive there and the same to get home . Why ? Because most people want to drive their own car to work rather than get there by any other form . Driving into and around London never really used to be a big issue . Yes there was always traffic at rush hours but never to the extent I saw on my last job .
Then you have the school rush . Most people want to drive their kids to school in their own car . They park all over the place blocking traffic so they can do what they want to do .
So that's where the problems are . It isn't those kids at school that cared about other things and went on in life to get things done about it . Its those kids that moved on in life and only give a shoot about themselves and what they are doing that is causing this problem .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have lived and worked in London all my life and my work means I need to transport my tools and materials with a van . Usually a rather large van . Since the congestion charge was introduced I have been into the zone with my van once and still managed to earn a living . My last job was only 14 miles ( from memory ) away and it took me two hours to drive there and the same to get home . Why ? Because most people want to drive their own car to work rather than get there by any other form . Driving into and around London never really used to be a big issue . Yes there was always traffic at rush hours but never to the extent I saw on my last job .
Then you have the school rush . Most people want to drive their kids to school in their own car . They park all over the place blocking traffic so they can do what they want to do .
So that's where the problems are . It isn't those kids at school that cared about other things and went on in life to get things done about it . Its those kids that moved on in life and only give a shoot about themselves and what they are doing that is causing this problem .

Excellent point ! Whilst I don't (these days) live in London, but visit from time to time, I just don't understand whilst anyone in their right mind would even consider driving in London unless carrying a load of stuff - eg tradesmen such as yourself. Public transport in London is superb by any rational standards, despite the chattering classes moaning about it. If I visit London and don't go by bus / train I drive to my secret parking spot in the 'burbs, and take the tube into town. To be honest, I don't even see much point in taxis in London, as compared to the tube.

It's really quite random, it's classic anti-cycling hackery but cos the author's a bit unsure of his ground he thinks "Cyclists. Save The Planet. Global Warming!" so he hitches one prejudice to the skirts of another. As if we need more antipathy, I expect the next time I wait at lights a driver will pull alongside, shake his fist and shout "The temperature variation is within expected parameters!"

Ed Phelan

Wasn't Bojo supposed to be building something like this above the London skyline? Like a cycling skyway free from the terrors of buses and angry drivers.

Top Bottom