London marathon Ballot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

Just found out the ballot for the London marathon closed in just 1 day! I've entered the past two years unsuccessfully, looks like this year is another failure. The idea of running for charity is a no go as well, considering i've ran quite a few marathons before, so would be unfair asking people for sponsorship. Besides, £1500 is too much. Ell well...

Anyone manage to enter?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Don't the charities get so many potential places and you can apply through them??

montage

God Almighty
oh baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls - was going to do this but completely forgot.
Not a fan of the flat tarmac races anyway

longers

Legendary Member
My friend likes Windermere marathon, he's done that more than the London one as it's more about the running than anything else.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yellow Fang said:
Don't bother with London. There are better marathons.

It is an iconic marathon and if you're going to do more than one, you still need to get it on your palmares. I did 50+ marathons and, of the road ones , it is the most memorable, although I never did one abroad.

longers

Legendary Member
Fifty!

Did you have a favourite brand of trainers?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
rich p said:
Brooks, actually!

Eeek. I love a bit of solid leather under my bum - and there's nothing quite like the smell of Proofide. But I'd have thought something a little more padded would be better underfoot.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

Yellow Fang said:
Don't bother with London. There are better marathons.
As i said i've done other marathons, including my favorite Berlin. The London marathon is the iconic marathon alongside new York though, i'd like to do both of them! My uncle has done London over 25 times now, and loves it! Unfortunately can't run anymore due to illness but has told me i should do it.

As for this being a cycling forum, that why i put it in chat! This is where all the unrelated stuff goes!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nothing stopping people from running 26 miles any time they want. So maybe big name marathon places should go to thos that haven't run them before. Then the entry can be opened up to experienced hands.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

MacB said:
Nothing stopping people from running 26 miles any time they want. So maybe big name marathon places should go to thos that haven't run them before. Then the entry can be opened up to experienced hands.

So people who have a genuine passion running marathons, should take second place to everyone else? It's not about running the distance, it's about doing the actual event. I could go and run 26 miles next month after a bit of training (not ran in a while) but the acomplishment would be zero.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
darkstar said:
So people who have a genuine passion running marathons, should take second place to everyone else? It's not about running the distance, it's about doing the actual event. I could go and run 26 miles next month after a bit of training (not ran in a while) but the acomplishment would be zero.

No the accomplishment would be the same but your own mental interpretation would be different. Consider that charity plays a major part now and that entries are guaranteed for the big money raisers. Surely true charity requires nothing in return therefore they could still raise the funds, and add that extra charitable twist, while allowing another to run in their place?

Top Bottom