London marathon today...... times are mind blowing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
My view is that the 2 hour marathon is further away than people think. The winner of yesterdays London marathon took part in a special event a year ago staged carefully to try to break the 2 hour barrier. It wasn't a race. He improved on the world's best time by almost 2 minutes, but still finished over 20 seconds outside the 2 hour mark. It wouldn't have been recognised as a record anyway because it broke all the pacing rules:

The race began at 5:45 a.m. local time in Italy and consisted of 17.5 laps of 1.49 miles, or 2.4 kilometers, around Monza’s Formula One course. Nike chose the course for the area’s cool temperature (about 52 degrees at the start), trees that shield the wind, consistent asphalt surface and lack of sharp turns, as well as a water vapor pressure that would help cool the runners’ bodies through the evaporation of sweat.

A phalanx of pacesetters led Kipchoge and two other elite marathoners around the course. A green line projected onto the road from an electric pace car also showed the pacesetters the precise speed to maintain.

The event was set up by Nike to publicise a new running shoe with a built-in "spring"-thing in the sole made from carbon fibre, which some experts have said makes a 4% difference to the amount of energy needed to run at a given speed, and others conjecture breaks the rules. Even with the greatest marathon racer of all time, at his absolute peak, and all of the above in place to ensure the fastest possible time, they still couldn't do it. It'll be quite a while until they do. Even then, it won't be recognised, because it will first happen at a point-to-point event (like Boston) where the whole race is slightly downhill, and where a following wind could give an advantage that it never could on a circuit.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I take my hat off to anyone who has/did it. I like the idea of running but have to get my bad posture sorted out first

D

Deleted member 26715

My view is that the 2 hour marathon is further away than people think.
I wonder what the time would be on a running machine where there was no wind, no deviation in level
sadly one man died yesterday. He seems to have been an experienced runner in his twenties..
Now that is sad, especially at such a young age, my thoughts are with his family.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
To put the runners speed into a cycling perspective, the elite men averaged just under 13 miles an hour. Plenty of cyclists would think of 26 miles in 2 hours as a decent run out.
I average 10-13 mph depending the weather. How ANYONE can run at that speed amazes me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Flat course and no stopping for lights or junctions. Sure you would be under two hours on such a course.
And a pro cyclist (if comparing to pro marathon runners) would likely ride that closed course in under an hour presumably, probably quicker if done as a TT looking at 25 mile times

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And a pro cyclist (if comparing to pro marathon runners) would likely ride that closed course in under an hour presumably
Pro time trials with no drafting are riding around 30mph.

I can hold 30mph for about 10 seconds on the my bike, which is about how long I could stick with Mo Farah in the marathon.

But these guys are genetically gifted and also have very unnatural body shapes. Marathon runners would be considered boarder line anorexic they are so thin.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

I can hold 30mph for about 10 seconds on the my bike, which is about how long I could stick with Mo Farah in the marathon.

But these guys are genetically gifted and also have very unnatural body shapes. Marathon runners would be considered boarder line anorexic they are so thin.
That female runner that was leading but ended up 3rd certainly didnt look anorexic. I am definitely not being sexist but I was thinking what nice legs and figure for a marathon runner.
As for the (majority) of male runners I have to agree with you.

vickster

Legendary Member

The same would appear to be true for many Male pro road cyclists too (track riders are generally bulkier)

I guess the results service is being overloaded at the moment, by the amount trying to log in

Thus, I can only glean times, not places, for the best, from my Clubs FaceBook pages

Terry Forrest = 2.35:52
Simon Newton = 'sub' 2.40
Becky Winters = 3.04:04

Terry invariably starts from the back at any race I've seen him in, from ParkRun to marathon
Heck, I've Lanterne-Rouged a trail marathon befone (Kirkstall Abbey - Saltaire - Leeds Station - Kirkstall, along the Leeds/Liverpool Canal), & he's won by almost 20 minutes!!!

Terry finished in 127th place!
Simon; 145th (@ 2.39:36)
Becky; 1394th (57th Woman)

40,157 finishers, apparantly

Top Bottom