London marathon today...... times are mind blowing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When you consider that in the early 1900s times for men were 3 hours 30 minutes(ish).......record is now approx 2 hours 2 minutes.
OK distances were not accurate early on but the improvement is staggering.
Today in the London heat the time was approx 2 hours 5 mins.
At my best I could only average 8 1/2 minute miles for half marathons. These guys are running 26 miles at speeds I could never achieve for even one mile (4 1/2 minute miles).
I just wonder what speeds will eventually be achieved........as I say, its mind blowing.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd be doing well to get round the course on a bike in that time! Well done to each and every one of the participants. I know of an ex colleague of mine who is doing her first marathon today, and I think she is now in her 50's.. She's been training since last summer. Must check FB later to see how she got on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think it was hereabouts a while back when someone posted that they were overtaken mid-marathon by a woman who at a glance they recognised as Paula Radcliffe. Just for the hell of it, they decided to run with her for a bit. Even as a pretty serious amateur runner, they found they had to sprint pretty much as fast as they could go to keep up...after a couple of hundred metres they dropped back to their normal pace and watched her lope away into the distance. In short, Paula Radcliffe maintained their fastest sprint pace for 26 miles. I think some of these athletes actually come from the Planet Tharg.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just been watching on the road side at the 3 mile mark. The general public we’re going noticeably slower than in previous years which is sensible. But the atmosphere is great.
Some of the costumes are bonkers.
2DCC3565-C458-4AC3-B4D9-112EABAF56F7.jpeg
AC35D1CC-5217-469D-AA2F-96BA21242E78.jpeg

U

User33236

My fastest mile time is 6:10 and I was blowing out my rear end after that. Amazing these guys can keep up a pace over 1 1/2 minutes a mile faster for the whole distance.

I’ve been marathon training and my longest run (22 miles) averaged a comparatively slow 8 mins 15 a mile.

As Mrs SG says though, this is their job.

Many years ago, one of my mates entered an event in Glasgow (I think it was either a half marathon or 10km); he was relatively fit, and focused mostly on 400, 800 and 1500 metres; it had been a couple of years since he had trained properly and he was unsure when completing the entry form what to put down as his expected time, but came up with a time based on what his 1500 metre pace was from a few years previously.

He turned up on the day, wearing a Rangers football top and football shorts, with his number pinned to his chest. The marshals looked at his number and ushered him further and further forward, until he eventually reached the very front group which comprised a number of African athletes and national champions from around Europe. When the gun fired, he sprinted as fast as he could to the first corner, looked behind him to see everyone else taking it easy behind him but matching his pace. He stopped, stood at the side of the road and waited for the club plodders...

U

User33236

[QUOTE 5221648, member: 43827"]Yes, this is their job. But if they weren't a world away from even good club runners they wouldn't be good enough to make it their job.

Mind blowing is right.[/QUOTE]
The current crop of pros were very likely good club runners spotted at an early age and have reached where they are through being given time and resources to access intensive training.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5221648, member: 43827"]Yes, this is their job. But if they weren't a world away from even good club runners they wouldn't be good enough to make it their job.

Mind blowing is right.[/QUOTE]
Yes......pay me £million per year and I still couldnt run any faster.

U

User33236

[QUOTE 5221683, member: 43827"]What is quite surprising, and shows the room for improvement with UK runners is that the previous British record of 2.07.13 has stood for 33 years until today.[/QUOTE]
And only beaten by someone who is an adopted Brit.

U

User33236

Yes......pay me £million per year and I still couldnt run any faster.
If it was accompanied by a full time training and nutrition plan you’d improve from where you currently are :smile:

U

User33236

[QUOTE 5221677, member: 43827"]Agreed. The very best of the good British club runners can make it as pros. Their next challenge will be to close the gap between them and the truly mind-blowing Kenyans and Ethiopians. I hope it can be done.[/QUOTE]
The Kenyans and Ethiopians are certainly class leaders in distance running. One factor is likely being born into and living in an area with higher altitude. Addis Ababa for example sits at 2,355 metres above sea level and Nairobi slightly lower at 1,795 metres.

Top Bottom