London proposal to ban thousands of lorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interesting. But of those five/six, in how many of those incidents had the cyclist made it as far as the door, and of those, how many would have been seen by the driver. I'm not saying it's zero, I just don't think it's all of them.
Possibly not, but it did look like the front wheels ran the bike over where it was possible to see the aftermath. Go look for yourself.

A past TfL report talked about the need to get constructors to own the risk of injuries and fatalities on roads as well as on site. I don't know what happened about it but I'm fed up with building companies sticking ''considerate constructors'' notices outside their sites
I get extra grumpy when a cycle route (track, lane, whatever) is blocked by a fence with one of those signs on, meaning that more cyclists are forced into the road space used by the lorries speeding to/from the banksmen. :sad:

Tin Pot

Guru
First we got rid of the lorries
Then we got rid of the vans
Then..?

^_^:hyper:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How is these proposals really any different from the restrictions that are already supposedly in place? We've had such announcements from the last two mayors as well - and little has really happened.

The road transport lobby is well organised and has deep pockets. They'll tie these proposals up between the lawyers and the courts for years, until they're dropped.

If you want to make the roads safer, properly fund the relevant Met traffic cops and start to prosecute drivers and operators for every breach, no matter how small.

And fit telematics and dashcams to them all.

GC

mjr

What happens if all the lorry drivers refuse to deliver anything into London due to the cost to modify/buy new trucks, how long would London survive?
Probably long enough for enough people willing to comply with the restrictions to take the delivery work, possibly at a slightly higher cost, though. Lorry drivers aren't delivering stuff in London for the fun of it, you know?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What happens if all the lorry drivers refuse to deliver anything into London due to the cost to modify/buy new trucks, how long would London survive?

Whatever the financial cost is doesn't matter, the haulage industry will pass it onto their customers and in turn onto us, the consumers. They're just complaining because they'll have an initial capital outlay. I don't think that compares with 75 deaths in one year in London alone.

GC

crazyjoe101

At least if the standard of design on lorries can be brought up it puts more and more of a focus on the operation of the vehicle as time goes on and gives less excuse for why a driver could end up running someone over.
The biggest thing that could be done as others have said is making sure drivers and cyclists know how to use the road safely but I don't see how this is possible without enforcement, because it doesn't matter how well trained someone is if they simply cease to care after passing whatever test or training they've had.

mjr

Interesting. But of those five/six, in how many of those incidents had the cyclist made it as far as the door, and of those, how many would have been seen by the driver.
cctvbikecrash2907b.jpg

Can you imagine a car design being allowed that doesn't let the driver look below 3m in that direction?

Sounds an amazing situation. I'll setup a fleet that fulfils and run an entire monopoly and make a fortune.

Seriously, there's safety laws in all industries. How many have simply stopped because they don't want to comply? There'll always be someone willing to fill the gap.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At least if the standard of design on lorries can be brought up it puts more and more of a focus on the operation of the vehicle as time goes on and gives less excuse for why a driver could end up running someone over.
The biggest thing that could be done as others have said is making sure drivers and cyclists know how to use the road safely but I don't see how this is possible without enforcement, because it doesn't matter how well trained someone is if they simply cease to care after passing whatever test or training they've had.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, it is the arrogance of some lorry drivers that needs to be addressed.
My solution would be to put the drivers position down to the level of a car drivers height, let's see how many other vehicles some HGV drivers bully then.

BTW if you have never been intimidated by an HGV driver in a car, van, motorcycle or on a bike please feel free to comment, also one of my best mates has just retired after 45yrs as a 'Class 1' driver and he reckons driving standards have gone really downhill for the past 15yrs (along with wages)

Top Bottom