London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I suspect a lot of people simply get caught up in the sheer excitement of it too.

Well, I've done about a dozen interviews with Canadian media on the riots today, and a couple more still to come - not just on the policing and surveillance angle, but also because I'm a 'token Brit'. And don't worry, I've tried to make it very clear the range of reactions people have had to all this without, of course, underplaying what I think is going on.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I suspect a lot of people simply get caught up in the sheer excitement of it too.

Well, I've done about a dozen interviews with Canadian media on the riots today, and a couple more still to come - not just on the policing and surveillance angle, but also because I'm a 'token Brit'. And don't worry, I've tried to make it very clear the range of reactions people have had to all this without, of course, underplaying what I think is going on.
Excitement! What a strange word to use. I hope other people represented the UK in a better way!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Oh get you..... ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This crap, we get on with it. Flaming Canadian French folk..:tongue: it's a scuffle. The Police can't give them a smack, like that can over the pond !

Apologies if this point was made earlier in the thread but watching the T.V news tonight and listening to the scum involved in these riots/looting, it didn't seem to matter from which part of the country they were from, be it London, Wolverhampton or Manchester, they all sounded the same, THICK. These people ? didn't have a brain cell between them.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
<br>Excitement! What a strange word to use. I hope other people represented the UK in a better way!<br>
<br><br>We were talking about why a whole range of people were involved in this and why they didn't seem to care about the consequences. Of course excitement is likely to pay a part in this. I expect rioting and looting is a massive rush. Why do you find that 'strange'? It doesn't imply that it's morally good or that I am arguing in favour of rioting.<br>

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
<br><br>We were talking about why a whole range of people were involved in this and why they didn't seem to care about the consequences. Of course excitement is likely to pay a part in this. I expect rioting and looting is a massive rush. Why do you find that 'strange'? It doesn't imply that it's morally good or that I am arguing in favour of rioting. <br>
I find it strange as it is not a word many would associate with this kind of thugery. Have you ever lived through a riot. I have and it is fuc¥ing terrifying.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just seen Cameron on the box. He makes me feel physically ill. He IMO is the one who has broken our society.

Not so sure on that David, it's been 40 years in the making and the one thing that has 'trickled down' is greed, and profit before all, that's really what's broken society. Or more correctly society was being repaired, and moving on to heights never before reached, and that was all derailed by greed.

If however you mean the likes of Cameron, and his gang, easy to make a Bullingdon gag here, then I would tend to agree. All of the decision makers, of whatever hue, that have pandered to the minority interests of profit for the few, they have a big share of the blame. But the rest of us do as well, we have a vote and a voice but we're either apathetic or bought off by trinkets and baubles.

I can actually applaud the concept of a 'big society', just not the one that Cameron envisages.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I find it strange as it is not a word many would associate with this kind of thugery. Have you ever lived through a riot. I have and it is fuc¥ing terrifying.

This is getting very tedious. Let me explain once more, and this is for the last time since you appear to be making no effort to actually read and understand what is being said to you now.

We were talking about the motivations of people involved. Not about what it feels like to those on the receiving end. Those things are very different. Of course, being caught up in rioting and looting if you are a victim is terrifying. But that is not what is going on in the mind of the rioter.

And yes, I have lived through a riot FWIW.

snorri

Legendary Member
It depends which side of the riot you are on, but I can certainly see the exciting side of it for the young people involved. If they were terrified they would be running for home and not entering business premises through broken windows.

Top Bottom