London to Brighton - any other lazy 9.15ers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Before40

Just recovered from a great ride, one of the first to start this year at 06:00 hrs (stayed at the Euro Lodge on Sat. Night right next to the start line!).
Lowlights - starting that early does get quite lonely at times to the degree that the marshalls have to direct you at certainpoints as there are not many others around to follow! Passing the finish line at 09:00 hrs meant there was very few people to cheer you home, which was kind of sad.
Highlights - Friendly spirit amongst all, Going down Ditchling & that other fast hill (45.8 MPH!:biggrin:, & the sprint ("It's a ride not a race"!) into Brighton.

May keep this as a regular date in the diary now me thinks!

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Catrike UK said:
The Expedition is the fastest downhill trike I have ever ridden for freewheeling, it even freewheels faster than the 700. I was chatting to a roadie who said he was in the full aero crouch coming down with his GPS reading 47mph when this purple blur shot past him. That was me.
Ah, so no actual speed reading? That's a shame - would be interesting to compare the two machines.

Although I did go to use my bell at one point to find it was no longer there, no idea where it went.
Hehe - I lost a nut from the rear mudguard, the strap attaching my horn button snapped and a mirror vibrated loose (but not off). The first mechanic stop was useless - no nuts, no bolts, no sticky-tape!!! Had to borrow some sticky tape from St John's Ambulance. :-) The next mechanic provided the necessary nut to fix the vibrating mudguard.

Ben

Ben Lovejoy said:
Ah, so no actual speed reading? That's a shame - would be interesting to compare the two machines.

Hehe - I lost a nut from the rear mudguard, the strap attaching my horn button snapped and a mirror vibrated loose (but not off). The first mechanic stop was useless - no nuts, no bolts, no sticky-tape!!! Had to borrow some sticky tape from St John's Ambulance. :-) The next mechanic provided the necessary nut to fix the vibrating mudguard.

Ben

I did 58mph last week with the gps on near home but forgot it for Sunday. The 26" rear wheel does help a lot.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Catrike UK said:
I did 58mph last week with the gps on near home but forgot it for Sunday. The 26" rear wheel does help a lot.
Ah yes, that would do it alright :-)

Ben

What a great day it was, good weather, plenty of cycling, and fourteen pints of Guinness.

Only downside was getting my wallet nicked after going for a swim at 1:30am, but's that's really my own fault...

What about the chopper, anyone on here see it? Rollerbladers were also fantastic.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Didn't see that chopper, but did see another.

The ride has also made me tempted to get one of those saddlebag music systems (speaker, amp and a bag to hold your iPod). One of the group with the chopper had one, and it was very pleasant having some music along. (I noticed a number of people with earphones in, but I enjoy the sociability of the ride).

Top Bottom