London to Brighton on a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s a great day out, I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it. There are plenty of stops so you can take it at your own pace. There are also loads of helpful people on hand if you do have a problem.
What’s happens on the return now? There used to be special trains laid on. At least with your folder you shouldn’t have a problem.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Done it several times on a Brompton, it’s fine! I’ve ridden 100 miles in a day and toured the outer hebrides with full camping gear on it to. So with some practice it’s no problem.

London Brompton Club -worth joining their fb page, a good bunch who use and abuse Bromptons in many different ways!

jay clock

Massive member
That’s something I’m working on now. There’s still 6 months to go, so I’m building up my fitness and practicing daily.
The practising daily bit REALLY helps. Years ago I cycled to Brighton from London, having never done more than 10 miles and I had been doing a few weeks of commuting 2x5 miles a day. Was a doddle.

Then a couple of years back I did an Ironman and was doing 2x6 miles a few times a week on my Brompton. Helped massively

Finally I did a club TT on my Brompton a couple of years back. Pissed off the old timers something rotten but still I managed 33 mins vs a usual 30 mins on a road bike

Do lots of short rides and maybe a couple of longer ones and you will nail it

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've seen a bloke do it on a Raleigh chopper, and turn round and cycle back!

Tim Hall

Doing it on a BMX wouldn't be sensible either.

3wxovCr9-VU24BTa3gGtBQWGCo6hU8cbN0rBQzq-CyZAHhMvCD_-NTdui7Sl8itsUUalk8bagp1LiNAqaXQ=w636-h949-no.jpg

OP
OP
Adeola

Adeola

I feel so much better after reading your responses. As I understood, it’s not a race. So I knew that I could leisurely cycle.
However, I was informed that I should do it quickly and was told that if I finish on a Brompton I’d receive a round of applause because it’s quite impossible.

I felt patronised and quite silly.
So, thanks!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My main concern if attempting to ride that distance on ANY sort of bike would be how comfortable the saddle is over a long period and how sore my backside would be at the end of it.

Top Bottom