London to Brighton on a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
It's not 1 in 3. The average gradient is 1 in 11 (9%) with short bursts of 1 in 6 (16%). The nearest pub is back in the village, about a mile back from the start.
Spoilsport. It's the nearest flaming thing we've got to a proper hill in the south so we're entitled to make the most of it. @buzzy-beans missed out the hairpin bends, the snow banked up at the sides by the lone snow plough that made it through, the precipitous drops to the sides, the thinning of the oxygen, the road signs lost in the clouds, the vultures (or are the condors?) circling overhead, and the memorial half way up to those who tried valiantly but perished in the attempt.

swansonj

Guru
Hmmm. That's a bold statement with thread-derailing potential.

But I do know how Edmund Hilary must have felt on first seeing Everest. When you emerge from Wivelsfield and see the huge mass of the South Downs looming above you.
Actually, I do think that Dirchling has many of the classic features of Alpine passes, which do distinguish it from many other climbs in the south: the view increasing progressively as you get higher till you can eventually see a whole vista for miles and miles; climbing through the tree line and changing vegetation; changes of gradient but still continuously upward; the bend near the top when you think you might be there but turn the corner and see more to come; a final straight; the sudden opening out of a different view the other side as you crest the top; admiring the superb view next to people who've driven up and feeling virtuously smug. It's just that they're all scaled down. A bit like a steam loco on Ratty or RHDR.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree about Ditchling, a nice climb - if there is such a thing.

But you do end up being bumped and boosted from behind by motor traffic.

Based on my once only experience.

But I doubt you could ever do it free of traffic, unless you went up in the small hours.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hmmm. That's a bold statement with thread-derailing potential.
It's a good thing I read down before deciding to derail the thread.

Ditchling is a pussy cat compared with some of the hills in the bit of the South that's to the Northwest of London.

OP
OP
Adeola

Adeola

Well done :bravo:I bet you feel as happy as you were tired when you finished.
Pretty sure I shed a small happy tear.

Top Bottom