London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi all,

My brother in law and I have signed up for London to Brighton with BHF. It's our first long distance cycle event.

We are planning to get out and to do some longer rides (I currently ride about 6 miles a day, he's doing about the same). Probably a 15 mile ride first and then a 25 mile ride or two.

Any tips, tricks etc would be appreciated. I'm aware from the website that there are a few "technical climbs" but have no idea what that means and how "technical" they are.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just get the miles in, ride up and down some hills, build up your riding hours and stamina, drink plenty, and don’t be in a rush on the day.

I’ll see you there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's no 'technical climbs' on the L2B.
2 main hills are Turners and Ditchling. Whilst both can be tough if you are not bike fit, they are certainly nothing to worry or fret about.
Both will be so full of cyclists walking that you will probably have to walk too.
Apart from those 2 hills it's not a tough ride. Especially in the company of many of thousands of others, both great cyclists and not so great, with every one and every bike in between.
Be wary of other cyclists in front of you suddenly stopping for no reason, it does happen due to the sheer amount of people.

The main thing you will need is a good pair of cycling shorts and a nice pair of padded gloves.

It's a great atmosphere of which will help sweep you along. There's no need to rush and knacker yourself out. Just enjoy the day out on the bike with others of the same mind.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thanks - we definitely won't be rushing. Just aiming to finish and have a nice day out raising some money for a good cause.
My brother in law is using it as sort of preparation for doing RideLondon 100 (he wants to get the London Classics medal - has already done London marathon multiple times and the serpentine swim) although he didn't get the ballot this year.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's no 'technical climbs' on the L2B.
2 main hills are Turners and Ditchling. Whilst both can be tough if you are not bike fit, they are certainly nothing to worry or fret about.
Both will be so full of cyclists walking that you will probably have to walk too.
Apart from those 2 hills it's not a tough ride. Especially in the company of many of thousands of others, both great cyclists and not so great, with every one and every bike in between.
Be wary of other cyclists in front of you suddenly stopping for no reason, it does happen due to the sheer amount of people.

The main thing you will need is a good pair of cycling shorts and a nice pair of padded gloves.

It's a great atmosphere of which will help sweep you along. There's no need to rush and knacker yourself out. Just enjoy the day out on the bike with others of the same mind.
This in Spades^^^^

I appreciate how daunting it can seem if you have never done such a distance before, it can seem like the end of the world. I once thought it was a long way too!
But as @ianrauk says, it's not too challenging I would say 3 climbs, I count the one out of Carshalton/Wallingford as a bit of grind too (as I'm a fat old git).

The warning about others stopping is very wise. Just keep a good amount of space around you, heed the marshalls and anticipate stopping/refreshment stops and all should be well. It's a great day out for the patient who are happy top chat-along and enjoy the fun. The final turn onto the seafront makes it all worthwhile!

I would also add that you should prepare for all weathers. We have left London in blazing sunshine with people only in shorts and tee shirts to be hit by a downpour and biting wind before the coast leading to many suffering the effects of cold. Be sensible. It's a long day out.

Enjoy

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks - we definitely won't be rushing. Just aiming to finish and have a nice day out raising some money for a good cause.
My brother in law is using it as sort of preparation for doing RideLondon 100 (he wants to get the London Classics medal - has already done London marathon multiple times and the serpentine swim) although he didn't get the ballot this year.

Please also make arrangements for getting back to London if you need to as Brighton Railway Station/Southern Trains do not accept bikes on the day.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

The Fragrant MrsP is doing the Serpentine thing this year and will get the Classics medal, good luck to you both.

have a pint at the top of Turners Hill and watch others.

its a good starting point to getting further into cycling - just beware of N + 1. you've been warned :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's a fabulous day out. No need for any 'training' just take it at your own pace. Plenty of amateur machaninics on hand to help if something goes wrong and lots a watering holes along the way.
Ditching is a badge of honour for some so be prepared to for breathless voices behind you calling out "coming through" if you're walking.
Enjoy.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Ah -I'm with you. I had already been giving consideration to "well, if I enjoy this, then I might need a lighter bike for long distances rater than my trusty folding warhorse...."

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ah -I'm with you. I had already been giving consideration to "well, if I enjoy this, then I might need a lighter bike for long distances rater than my trusty folding warhorse...."
Just head on over to the vintage section and look for tips on lightweight older bikes that can be picked up for not a lot of money ;).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@icowden Do you know a start time yet? If it is later one, you'll be hard pressed to ride all the way and will likely have to walk some sections.
Still, it's not a race (though some treat it as such!)
Enjoy the day. It's good fun.

If you want to know what Ditchling Beacon is like to ride, I can post my effort from a couple of years ago :surrender:

Top Bottom