London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Not yet. We will definitely be at the slower end of the field (well, if we end up sticking together - he'll be faster than me!). I'm estimating about 6.5 hours as I'm not exactly a lycra racing snake.

Sharky

Guru
Not yet. We will definitely be at the slower end of the field (well, if we end up sticking together - he'll be faster than me!). I'm estimating about 6.5 hours as I'm not exactly a lycra racing snake.
With all the people, congestion at traffic lights/junctions and forced walking up the hills, it used to take me about 8 hrs to get to Brighton, but only 4 hours to ride back to Longfield, near Gravesend.

Have a good ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Not a lycra racing snake? Then you will fit in with most of the other riders doing the ride :okay:
And as what Mr @Sharky said, 6.5 hours will be a tough call. It can take an hour easy just to leave the start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well - first training run was on Saturday. Walton to Staines and back again (approx 20 miles). Felt fine at the end of it. Had a massive wave of tiredness about an hour later. We didn't pick the best route (followed the river too closely), but know better for next time.

Parting words of the brother in law - "Let's go out again next Sunday. We'll do afternoon as I'm running a half-marathon in the morning...".

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
So news update - have done a couple more runs (31 miles the longest so far). We also have our start time - 8.30.

Anyone know whether it is worth getting there much earlier than the start time?

Sharky

Guru
It's a few years since I rode it, but I would get there as early as you want. I think there will be so many riders that they don't check the time allocations.
Have a safe ride

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what Sharky says.. it really doesn't matter. The start is usually carnage with the amount of people. I would get their earlier rather then later.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Cool. I mostly wanted to get a handle on how strict they are with the start time. We'd rather leave earlier than later.

Sharky

Guru
Out of interest how does it take so long! At 54 miles this suggests an average of 8mph.

A similar ride up here is the Manchester Blackpool which is 60 miles and can be done in under 4 hours despite the huge overcrowding on the roads. No fun at all these days.
Just the numbers of people and at every traffic lights/cross roads etc it just takes time to get through.

2pies

Veteran
I've done L2B before but it was about 8 years ago. As I don't tend to ride any other organised events anymore I thought I'd give this another go. Wife and kids can meet me there and drive back. A nice day out for all of us - it is Fathers Day after all.

However, I've just been given my start time and got 6am. That seems extremely unpleasant. Getting there for the advised half hour before start time would mean leaving home just after 4:30 so rising at 3 something. Also, starting that early I'd likely get to Brighton by 9ish and have several hours to kill before my wife can get down there in the car. I expect traffic will be challenging.

So, would I be turned away if I rocked up a bit later (7ish) or would they just grumble a little about not sticking to my allotted start time and wave me through?

Last edited:

spiderman2

Über Member
I've done L2B before but it was about 8 years ago. As I don't tend to ride any other organised events anymore I thought I'd give this another go. Wife and kids can meet me there and drive back. A nice day out for all of us - it is Fathers Day after all.

However, I've just been given my start time and got 6am. That seems extremely unpleasant. Getting there for the advised half hour before start time would mean leaving home just after 4:30 so rising at 3 something. Also, starting that early I'd likely get to Brighton by 9ish and have several hours to kill before my wife can get down there in the car. I expect traffic will be challenging.

So, would I be turned away if I rocked up a bit later (7ish) or would they just grumble a little about not sticking to my allotted start time and wave me through?
I had a 6am start last year but couldnt get there till 9:30 cause of the train times.When I turned up at the start they just asked me to joint the rest at the back of the queue.Far too many rider at the start to check every ones start time.
As soon as you leave clapham common your on public roads so nothing to stop anyone joining at that point

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you want to ride most of the way, leave early. If you want to push your bike a lot of the way, leave later. There are lots of pinch points that get jammed up solid.

A warning/suggestion for Mrs @icowden. Assuming she's driving from London, at the A27 junction, turn west for a few miles then turn south through Portslade and get to the coast to the west of Hove and Park in the first place she finds. If she wants, hop on a bus rather than walk miles. They same can be done on the way back, (and you can use the coastal bike path, for a little leg stretcher, post event.)

Don't drive straight in on the A23!!

There's no parking, and 27,000 bl**dy cyclists blocking the roads..

lazybloke

Considering a new username

OMG, you live near the start, AND have an early start time. Do you not realise how lucky you are?!

Bed to bike needn't take more than half an hour, but you must plan and get everything ready the previous evening. I'd allow 30 minutes from bed to bike (including breakfast and probably some faffing on the internet), so you'd probably be fine with a 4am alarm. Do a trial run?

Early start means an easier ride to the start, less congestion during the ride, and you can still meet your wife at a reasonable time in Brighton; if she's driving there, she'll have an easier journey too.

4am isn't so bad. I can't see any drawbacks. It's also a fantastic time of day to ride.

2pies

Veteran
OMG, you live near the start, AND have an early start time. Do you not realise how lucky you are?!

Bed to bike needn't take more than half an hour, but you must plan and get everything ready the previous evening. I'd allow 30 minutes from bed to bike (including breakfast and probably some faffing on the internet), so you'd probably be fine with a 4am alarm. Do a trial run?

Early start means an easier ride to the start, less congestion during the ride, and you can still meet your wife at a reasonable time in Brighton; if she's driving there, she'll have an easier journey too.

4am isn't so bad. I can't see any drawbacks. It's also a fantastic time of day to ride.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Getting up at 4am at the weekend would only be justified if I was heading to an airport to catch a flight for holidays.

I can ride fast whenever I like; race other commuters, a Club Run, a few solo laps of Richmond Park, participate in a proper Sportive etc. A gentle ride, chatting to a few kindred spirits or listening to music/podcasts will be just fine.

Thanks for the opinion, but I'm just not that motivated to get up early and avoid a congested ride.

Top Bottom