London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Getting up at 4am at the weekend would only be justified if I was heading to an airport to catch a flight for holidays.

I can ride fast whenever I like; race other commuters, a Club Run, a few solo laps of Richmond Park, participate in a proper Sportive etc. A gentle ride, chatting to a few kindred spirits or listening to music/podcasts will be just fine.

Thanks for the opinion, but I'm just not that motivated to get up early and avoid a congested ride.

No worries, early starts can be me pretty monstrous.
Although if anyone else on here is doing the same event, they might want to swap time-slots!
As you know, it's a cracking ride. Enjoy :-)

But if you've not done an early ride don't dismiss the idea, it's well worth an occasional early alarm.
It's not about speed or racing, it's about a simpler pleasure of riding in beautiful dawn light, fresh air (not fumes), and making good progress at your own pace - gentle or otherwise. And quieter roads definitely feel safer and easier to use, hence there's a choice of routes you might not consider at other times of day.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
That's definitely earlier than us. We got an 8.30 time (I presume calculated on a likely 6 hour ride time).
Got some good practice hill climbing in Haslemere this week. Marley Road is a 320ft elevation over half a mile and I nearly made it all the way (had to stop about 75m from the top).

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well - we did it!

Managed to start pretty much at the front of the 8.30 bunch. Had a very pleasant ride with barely any queuing / waiting (other than the odd red light).
I have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable apart from the rain that started about 10 miles in and continued until we got off Ditchling Beacon.
Lots of people of all ages, sizes etc, some great music from some bikes too. The brother in law was like a freight train so I didn't get to dally at rest stops as much as I might have liked (him: Shall we have a stop at the top of Ditchling? me: I will be stopping at the top of Ditchling and will be having a drink and a cake). We did stop for a saddle adjustment (him) / bacon roll (me) at about mile 15 or so, maybe futher - it was in the countryside bit anyway.

I managed the first hill and the hill that isn't a hill (one of those insidious flat roads with an uphill incline) but then a combination of my hinge snapping at about mile 20 (managed to get some parcel tape from a maintenance crew to hold it together) and being tired, meant I walked at least part of the other hills.
IPCv3CVBCOsps7ix-alk4uLhVyeoKhl-9QBVmma8KSZBRJGQwWlgTMCNkI0O12Q1927TYfUFoN2IoPbPLFh=w480-h270-no.jpg

Some friendly ladies saved my life by sharing some jelly babies during the ascent of Ditchling. I think if you want a nice friendly ride for your first long cycle, you couldn't do better.
-Ivp7N03p9gTclklJLgR29l5PNVzOx6qCsGVRrsoAXKyao2pImXyYKHqsgNqdOUWtC5PgM3SSMgNHxfV3PF=w504-h378-no.jpg

I only heard one grumpy voice from a lady from one of the baltic states (by the sound of it) "MOVE OVER TO ZE SIDE IF YOU MUST VALK!!' ... and "ZE LIGHT IS GREEN GET A MOVE ON!!". Made everyone else laugh I think. She seemed to be baffled that she was being ignored.

We managed 5 hours 11 minutes (Strava cycling time) or 5 hours 30 mins with stops, which didn't seem too shabby for me, and was pretty much spot on my prediction of 10mph average.

Hope everyone else had fun and dried off.
k0tsgaiHkun3DzTxvk3BOMb0U2byUQz31EODYDK-bUSBYUL84GcjAADVVgjJlcc7PHJyqn_WkIZHKIwnMpX=w384-h512-no.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well - we did it!

Managed to start pretty much at the front of the 8.30 bunch. Had a very pleasant ride with barely any queuing / waiting (other than the odd red light).
I have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable apart from the rain that started about 10 miles in and continued until we got off Ditchling Beacon.
Lots of people of all ages, sizes etc, some great music from some bikes too. The brother in law was like a freight train so I didn't get to dally at rest stops as much as I might have liked (him: Shall we have a stop at the top of Ditchling? me: I will be stopping at the top of Ditchling and will be having a drink and a cake). We did stop for a saddle adjustment (him) / bacon roll (me) at about mile 15 or so, maybe futher - it was in the countryside bit anyway.

I managed the first hill and the hill that isn't a hill (one of those insidious flat roads with an uphill incline) but then a combination of my hinge snapping at about mile 20 (managed to get some parcel tape from a maintenance crew to hold it together) and being tired, meant I walked at least part of the other hills. Some friendly ladies saved my life by sharing some jelly babies during the ascent of Ditchling. I think if you want a nice friendly ride for your first long cycle, you couldn't do better.

I only heard one grumpy voice from a lady from one of the baltic states (by the sound of it) "MOVE OVER TO ZE SIDE IF YOU MUST VALK!!' ... and "ZE LIGHT IS GREEN GET A MOVE ON!!". Made everyone else laugh I think. She seemed to be baffled that she was being ignored.

We managed 5 hours 11 minutes (Strava cycling time) or 5 hours 30 mins with stops, which didn't seem too shabby for me, and was pretty much spot on my prediction of 10mph average.

Great to hear you had a fun day!
Well done :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well - we did it!

I managed the first hill and the hill that isn't a hill (one of those insidious flat roads with an uphill incline) but then a combination of my hinge snapping at about mile 20 (managed to get some parcel tape from a maintenance crew to hold it together) and being tired, meant I walked at least part of the other hills. Some friendly ladies saved my life by sharing some jelly babies during the ascent of Ditchling. I think if you want a nice friendly ride for your first long cycle, you couldn't do better.

Great news, pleased you had a good ride, well done. What type of bike do you ride?

Last edited:
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I was on my (usually) trusty Tern Joe P27 (folding bike). I quite fancy doing more of these, so I think I will need to investing something a little more practical, lighter etc....

Spartak