Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A 20 odd mile ride this morning. My Garmin decided to completely malfunction. I may have to plug it into a PC....

F2EB790B-58B3-49E6-9003-080683EF278D.jpeg

Nothing too exciting. This mural was the high point

pjd57

Veteran
strava168311741281894760.jpg
Aberfeldy to Perth train station.
Original plan had been to make it an all day trip back to Glasgow.
But my mates knee was playing up after a couple of long hard rides earlier this week.
So we went looking for NCN 7.
Got a bit lost after Dunkeld. But other than that it was a stunning route.
Not too testing in terms of climbing.
Nice bit of Scotland for cycling

Mike_P

Guru
Back up Cornwall Road on the Defy this afternoon round the almost 180 degree turn over the narrow bridge at the foot of the climb faster than I have tried before but was still slower up it than the first ride after it had been resurfaced. Took a different route down to Pannal compared to last Saturdays and thereafter any thoughts of a beating last weeks time up Drury lane were quashed by a pair of 4 wheel drives almost stuck trying to get past each other forcing me to a stop. Through Kirkby Overblow and down to Kearby
Kearby.jpg

Then through Netherby, south briefly on the A61, and through Dunkeswick , Weeton and across the A658 into Huby for the gentle climb up towards Almscliffe Crag. Onto North Rigton and descended down to cross the A658 again and then the level crossing over the Leeds to Harrogate railway line, depressingly modernised with lifting barriers controlled from afar.

Again south on the A61 turning off to join the outbound route briefly before heading directly up to Kirkby Overblow. Took the narrow largely single vehicle width Walton Head Lane which I expected would to go down grade, which it did but only after gently rising for two thirds of its length.

North on the A61 across Buttersyke Bar roundabout with the A658 and then along Burn Bridge Road and up Brackenwaite Lane; the flood waters I nearly rode into last time had not fully drained away.

Down Shaw Lane and then up to Beckwithshaw from where I joined last Sundays route via Norwood and Penny Pot – a full 3+ minutes quicker up the climb given the lack of a 20 mph headwind today but as soon as I hit the descent from alongside Little Armscliffe it became obvious the previously gentle northerly had obviously gathered strength and once again the decent was fully pedalled.
38.17 miles 2760ft climbed 11.6 mph average.
0607 route.jpg

0607 map.jpg

So there I was, a mile up a rough track on my roadbike looking for a church...
20190706_192917.jpg

And there it was, Shotwick church tucked away at the edge of the Wirral.
20190706_193110.jpg

Nothing too impressive from 1500, but the doorway is Norman which makes it a rare find in these parts, hence the Grade I listing i guess.
20190706_193411.jpg

I like these 'hidden' churches, which seems quite grand for a village of around 10 houses.

20190706_193250.jpg

Inside was not what i was expecting either, the usual glum gothic interiors of this period, so a nice surprise.
20190706_193445.jpg

Lovely evening for a pootle home on a tarmac lane after the Shotwick visit, which made a nice change and the wheels are still ok :okay:

Attachments

• 20190706_193222.jpg
    20190706_193222.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 14

colly

Re member eR
Another early ride out this morning with the intention of doing maybe 4 hours and 55/60 miles.
I wasn't out quite as early as planned and l had covered around 15 miles as l came into Wetherby via Garforth and Aberford when l thought, as you do sometimes, 'bugger it' and so I turned towards home. After a clamber up Jewitt Lane l made for home via Thorner

Still it was 25 miles or so and about 1300ft.
Fixed wheel

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36916818

geocycle

Legendary Member
9390CF33-F6CA-4CBC-BBF0-ABF02FE4A11A.jpeg
Early morning ride south today to the lovely Ribble Valley. Forgot that most cafes wouldn’t be open so was desperate for coffee and flapjack. Fortunately the cafe come general store in Chipping also sells newspapers so delivered the necessary sustenance. Nice to see rolling country and cows after the Dales.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Very moist conditions this morning but not so bad as to stop my planned ride into London. Made my way northish and eventually met up with a familiar road (from a couple of "Fridays" rides) across Chelsea Bridge. Did a bit of the Ride London route, mostly for the fun of a sprint down The Mall.

Waved to Liz before visiting the Wellington Arch (FNRttC again), then ignored my GPS route and decided to find Richmond Park - which took a while as I was mostly navigating by sense of direction. Did a half-circuit of the park, then skirted Kingston before heading home via Esher & Leatherhead.

A total of 55 miles with a satisfying "Strava average speed" of almost 16mph- not bad considering all those traffic lights disrupting my momentum, plus a mechanical issue and a fair bit of gravel/mud offroading!
upload_2019-7-7_13-37-11.png

Edit to say: Garmin Connect gives a lower average speed. I'll ignore that!

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Ride commenced at 05:37 and completed 42 miles in 3 hours 14 minutes which included two snack stops and a couple of photo stops. Cycled around my favourite part of the countryside and one new road I took turned out to be a gated road allowing me this photo opportunity.

Only been leisure cycling for a couple of months but really like getting out early before most of the country is awake.

NRwK6H0.jpg

I had a 'cracking' ride today !!

Wasn't sure whether to go out on the road bike or the MTB, and as I haven't used the MTB for a week or so, opted for that one.

I was about 10 miles out, riding down the side of the river, the front wheel caught on a tree root, and over the front I went......RIGHT INTO THE RIVER !!:laugh::laugh:

Followed swiftly by the bike !!.

Once I dragged my sorry arse and the bike out, wrung myself out, I carried on my merry way, albeit more than slightly damp !!

Following a trail on the way back home, I came down an incline at some speed, the handlebars hit a tree, and I flew off for the 2nd time in a day, right into a pile of thorns

tJvZfR1nZmAmz2l0VHzkFalA52SKEc54EshZEk053ns-1536x2048.jpg

Lucky enough, I was only a couple of miles from home at that point, so off home I went.

17.5 miles in 1.5hrs, a swim and a flying lesson !!

My chest hurt all morning, even more so when I breathe in, I was recommended by the powers that be to get it looked at, which I did, and I have 3 cracked ribs.

And I thought this push-biking malarky was supposed to keep me fit !!!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just a short one today, out early-ish with stuff to be done later.

A loop around the block, then up Coal Road and a last minute decision to take Skeltons Lane, then the lumpy descent of Sandhills into Thorner. Up Main Street and onto Milner Lane, avoiding the people stood in the middle of the road chatting, and up that pesky hill which never seems to get any easier.
Past hetchell Woods and left onto Holme Farm Lane round to Rigton Green, then the solitude of Bramham Lane with the silence disturbed only by birdsong and that pesky noise from the back wheel which had reappeared...:rolleyes:
Up Jewitt Lane and complete the loop back round to the Milner Lane / Holme Farm Lane junction where I stopped for a couple of pics:
IMG_20190707_090833610_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190707_090940144.jpg

Back on the bike and along Milner Lane, enjoying the descent into the village much more than I had the climb out ;)
I stopped opposite St Peters Church to grab a pic I've been meaning to take for ages - at the end of a ginnel that leads down to Carr Lane past a terrace of houses:
IMG_20190707_092031441_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190707_092043440_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Hopefully this won't land me in trouble, but if it does I might have to start a GoFundMe page to cover that fine... ^_^

Back on the bike - on the road - and down to the Mexborough Arms and right onto Carr Lane for the climb out of the village up to the A58.
A quick scoot along there and the inevitable climb up Coal Road, across the roundabout and onto local roads with a final loop to push the mileage on.

15.15 miles (24.38 km) in 1h 18m at a steady average of 11.6 mph with 702ft climbed and an average temperature of 14.5°C

Would have been nice to stay out for longer, but a short ride is better than no ride.
Not as warm as yesterday, but oddly muggy at times and plenty of flying insects about :dry:
A few cyclists out and about despite being a bit earlier than usual and although there was lots of evidence of equine activity (if you know what I mean...) I didn't actually see any horses and riders.

And to end, the map:
07072019.JPG

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Out to the Blue egg Saturday. Could not get anyone to get there arses in gear on the way there, I think a couple of them where worried about pushing to hard on the way out, they might not have enough energy for the ride back.:laugh: So a nice steady ride, roads where quiet after we got through Epping, Nice sausage roll for me when we got to the Blue egg, the others had a roll filled with chicken and salad, This did seem to give them the energy for the return leg, It might have been the thought of stopping for a beer in Fyfield that spured them on, Ended up having two beers,was such a lovely day seemed rude not too. The group split when we left the pub, two going Essex way, then three of us coming back to London, for a couple more beers and a bit of grub, A really great day with great company, Even the wife was riding strong :laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2509958669

ride.JPG

geocycle

Legendary Member
I had a 'cracking' ride today !!

Wasn't sure whether to go out on the road bike or the MTB, and as I haven't used the MTB for a week or so, opted for that one.

I was about 10 miles out, riding down the side of the river, the front wheel caught on a tree root, and over the front I went......RIGHT INTO THE RIVER !!:laugh::laugh:

Followed swiftly by the bike !!.

Once I dragged my sorry arse and the bike out, wrung myself out, I carried on my merry way, albeit more than slightly damp !!

Following a trail on the way back home, I came down an incline at some speed, the handlebars hit a tree, and I flew off for the 2nd time in a day, right into a pile of thorns

View attachment 474382

Lucky enough, I was only a couple of miles from home at that point, so off home I went.

17.5 miles in 1.5hrs, a swim and a flying lesson !!

My chest hurt all morning, even more so when I breathe in, I was recommended by the powers that be to get it looked at, which I did, and I have 3 cracked ribs.

And I thought this push-biking malarky was supposed to keep me fit !!!

Blimey, sorry to hear this tale of woe, swift recovery.

Top Bottom